Creaking from rear floor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Squark

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hi everyone, this is a longshot, but does anyone else have a tapping/creaking sound from their rear floor? When I accelerate, brake, or turn, I get a creaking sound (almost like plastic flexing) from somewhere in the back. I spent way too long checking door hinges, seat tracks, sunroof, and kick panels before I realized that it's coming from the actual metal floor. I stuck my hand under the carpet and couldn't feel anything on the surface of the floor, so I jacked the Expy up and climbed underneath. Unfortunately the creaking spot is right above exhaust components and a heat shield, so I can't see it. But I noticed the floor pan is overlapping sheets of metal that are riveted together. I wonder if there's a little bit of play between panels that makes noise when the frame flexes.

I've fixed 10 other rattles on this Expedition (I made a list because there were so many), but I'm losing hope on this one. Here's a video of what I'm talking about:

Thanks!

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hi everyone, this is a longshot, but does anyone else have a tapping/creaking sound from their rear floor? When I accelerate, brake, or turn, I get a creaking sound (almost like plastic flexing) from somewhere in the back. I spent way too long checking door hinges, seat tracks, sunroof, and kick panels before I realized that it's coming from the actual metal floor. I stuck my hand under the carpet and couldn't feel anything on the surface of the floor, so I jacked the Expy up and climbed underneath. Unfortunately the creaking spot is right above exhaust components and a heat shield, so I can't see it. But I noticed the floor pan is overlapping sheets of metal that are riveted together. I wonder if there's a little bit of play between panels that makes noise when the frame flexes.

I've fixed 10 other rattles on this Expedition (I made a list because there were so many), but I'm losing hope on this one. Here's a video of what I'm talking about:

Thanks!

I recall a post similar to yours some time ago, involving a 2018 Expedition. There was some type of TSB that involved reinforcing or adding material to the rear, perhaps under the load floor - and maybe inside the rear bumper cover.

I don’t have a link and don’t remember much more. If you do a search, you may find the information.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Its the rear load floor thats plastic squeaking on the aluminum floor as the vehicle flexes. They took mine out and resealed it. They said it was normal for multiple times until I found the major nasty squeak and they said WTF. They resealed it all and its better.