Mystery sound from rear panel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Alderd

Reaction score
Has anyone experienced this sound coming from the rear passenger side panel. If so, do you know what is the appropriate fix? It sounds like an electric motor is cycling (perhaps associated with the third row seats?). It seems to be random. It even does it sporadically when the car is turned off. Any advice is appreciated.
Here is a link to a short video which captures the sound. https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/yrsl...2421.MP4?rlkey=q7x1aiqiruip5yp063peu57po&dl=0

Jaygets

Reaction score
Hello, I have the same issue, even when the truck is off it clicks loudly. Any ideas anyone?
Thanks in advance

brbrazzell

Reaction score
I had an '08 and a '17 with same problem. I believe it was an actuator for the rear climate control, and it was fairly expensive to fix.

bloodhound

Full Access Members
Reaction score

OP
OP
A

Alderd

Reaction score
I’m the one who started this thread a few days ago. I followed the link(s) Bloodhound provided above. It turns out my problem was the rear blend door actuator #4 (the one that mounts on the side behind the panel). You have to loosen up the c and d pillars, and then pull away the panel to give yourself some room to work. I followed this video which is better for showing how to do actuator #4 in the write-up Bloodhound linked.
It was a bit of a PITA but I was able to finish it in about an hour. I was also able to remove and replace all four 8mm screws. Just took extra time.
I found the part on Amazon for $56 but didn’t want to wait 2days, so I went to my local dealer and got it for $68 which was worth it so I could just be done with it.
I’m sure my local dealer would have charged a significant amount of labor to remove all the pillars, panels, seatbelts, etc. I’m guessing $500-1000 for the complete repair.
I tested everything afterwards. No more clunking sound and heat/cold adjust with the thermostat. All is good.

Ryan L

Reaction score
Been there, done that with my 2016. It’s the rear blend door actuator. I went with DIY (YT videos) and got lots of cuts and scratches in the process. My arm looked like I was fighting a cat!

bloodhound

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I still need to get around to doing this myself for my 2014. It only starts the clicking if I turn on the rear heat. One of those annoying jobs that I just don't feel like doing, but I'm going to want the rear heat working as we head into winter.

OP
OP
A

Alderd

Reaction score
I did get a few scrapes, but that beats completelydisassembling all the pillars and panel. Not to mention the saving from what the dealer would charge you for labor.