Custom Electrial Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rollingbear

Reaction score
i have two electrical projects I would like to do, but i don't know the way to wire them.

Project#1 rear cargo power lock button
i want to add a power door lock switch to the rear cargo area of my 2003 fx4 like on my Taurus wagon. its a very nice feature and wish they would have included it on my exp. i have already found a door lock switch. I have 2 in fact with the pig tails form pick a part. one is out of the rear of a Taurus wagon 3 wires and the other is a master door lock switch out of a later 2000ish Taurus drivers door 5wire (will match better & be easier to mount) i also have long enough wires to do the install. i plan to mount it near the 12v socket . when i pull the panel to replace my blend door boxes. my question is where and what wires to tap into to make it work. should be the same as installing an aftermarket alarm with power doors i would think. i can install a relay if need be.

Project #2 floor bright dimmer switch
i would like to install a floor mounted headlight dimmer switch like in my VW. I live in the mountains and there are a lot of whindy roads. i hate to always have to be flipping the turn signal dimmer switch because of on coming traffic. i am constantly having to change my grip on the wheel to turn off the brights. i want to be able to have the turn signal dimmer work normal, but also have the floor dimmer control the circuit too. i want to add a pair of 130w 6x9 dick cepeck lights that i have behind the grill and have it control them also with a relay from the bright circuit and have a cut off switch to turn them off. i know how to wire the grill lights OK i would think if i use a VW floor dimmer as a ground and use a relay it wouldn't be hard to do. just don't know what wires to tap into in the head light or dimmer circuit

any help would be great. thanks

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sure you are on the right forum for this? I pulled up a pickup truck when I Googled FX4.

For the headlights you can use two relays plus the MFS. The first relay will toggle power between the two headlight switches - floor mount and the MFS. Power would come in on #30 and go out on 87 or 87A.
The second relay would then switch between high and low beam on the floor mounted switch circuit.

You will need a master switch (SPDT) for choosing which set of headlight controls you want to use.

Last edited:
OP
OP
rollingbear

rollingbear

Reaction score
Sure you are on the right forum for this? I pulled up a pickup truck when I Googled FX4.

I am 100% sure i am on the right fourm cause i have posted here before...I have a march/2003 ford expedition fx4. it has a gray leather interior and a sunroof, 4x4 and i also have the limited black headlights... i think in 04/05 it became the NBX package. you can see a picture of mine in my stats.

I am not sure what a mfs is? multi function switch?
the way i planed to run the circuit is to have the common a ground and one pole on the vw floor dimmer go to the ground side of a relay and the hot side of the coil & #30 go to b+. the 87a would tap into the(what ever color wire is the bright on the stock dimmer. that would energize the circuit no mater what position the stock dimmer is in. i just need to know what color wire to tap into for the brights. i could probably poke around in there & find it but was hoping to find someone that knows. also this is a computer controlled deal and that could effect things i don't know about.
also what about the rear lock switch? what color wires do i need to tap into to get that to work?

Last edited: