Cylinder head replacement....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Korution661

Reaction score
Is it fairly easy to replace the cylinder head on a 2000 expedition 4.6 l v8 motor? I have to replace the right side because I striped out the threads on one spark plug insert. Now the inserts don't sit where they should they are down deep in there. Any advise would help I'm fairly decent with simple task and was told by work mechanic that I am able to do it but to just take pictures for refrence. thanks in advance!!!

docraymund

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes take pictures from every angle. And write down all items that you took off in order so you could put them back in rwverse. You also need a repair manual.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Depends on how you define "fairly easy".

If you decide to proceed it is better to swap both with reman heads. That way you will have new seals, lapped valves and not worry about the head gaskets leaking.
If you haven't done this type of work it can be challenging the first time.

How extensive is your tool set? You will need: 3/8 socket set, 1/2" drive torque wrench & sockets, cam holding tool, decent scraper, possibly a screw extractor set, possibly torch for heating fasteners and the all important BFH.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Korution661

Korution661

Reaction score
well @stamp1127, I don't have that much tools but are these rentalble at autoparts store? I will be having help from a service mechanic but he says he has not done that type of work. And @docraymund didn't think about different angles but I will do that. and maybe as I take each part off too.