Dash lights and rear dropped. Please help!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ejabien

Reaction score
I own a 2000 XLT Triton V8. For the longest, I couldn't get the instrument lights to work. Then I had someone check it out and it happened to be an Internal Light Relay that needed to be fixed. So after replacing that everything started working again ( Dash Lights , Air Bags ) but a couple days later I noticed that they stopped working again. Could anyone please offer some advice or point me in the right direction. It's stressing me out and I need to fix this problem before I start my new job soon.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Welcome to the site. In order to troubleshoot your problem you will need a digital multi meter or test light. Do you have either one in your possession and know how to use it? If not, are you willing to purchase one and learn the basics of electrical troubleshooting?

reece146

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One simple question, what are the chances you have some aftermarket lights or some other device tapped into the circuit that powers the dash lights? Blown/fuse relay?

OP
OP
E

Ejabien

Reaction score
Welcome to the site. In order to troubleshoot your problem you will need a digital multi meter or test light. Do you have either one in your possession and know how to use it? If not, are you willing to purchase one and learn the basics of electrical troubleshooting?
Yes I do have a multimeter and I can use it.

OP
OP
E

Ejabien

Reaction score
One simple question, what are the chances you have some aftermarket lights or some other device tapped into the circuit that powers the dash lights? Blown/fuse relay?
As in after market lights are you referring to head lights and tail lights? If so, they are both aftermarket. I also have an after market head unit installed with two subs. The head unit was already installed when I replaced the blown internal light relay and a couple fuses and after that the lights an rear suspension worked again. However, when I installed the subs, a few days after, the lights and suspension stopped working again.

Exia

Full Access Members
Reaction score
However, when I installed the subs, a few days after, the lights and suspension stopped working again.

Go back through your wiring, with that one, sounds like you are tied into a wire that you shouldn't be..

Did you do the wiring yourself? or did you have it pro done..

Cause I will say I did that mistake in my 2000, but that was only because the P.O decided to cut the main harness and direct install the cd player, so needless to say I had fun tracking down a new harness for it. but stupid me was in a hurry to get my system going, and I didn't wait for the part, so I did the same, and arced a wire and my dash and suspension stopped working, luckily it was just a fuse that gave out. could have been a lot worse

Last edited:
OP
OP
E

Ejabien

Reaction score
With the help of a friend, i installed the subs. The head unit was installed by a professional a year or two back. A week before the subs were installed, i had everything working again by replacing the relay and a few fuses. I just can't seem to find out what may be the cause now. I think i may just have to take the subs out since everything stopped working after i put them in. What do you think?

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sent you a pm.
Check the fuses with your meter first. Check with ign in run position and both sides of the fuse. Should have 12v on both sides.