Dealer can't program pat key

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Kk4yvx

Kk4yvx

Reaction score
Okay I get it. Truck was purchased with pats delete so there is no pats module. Dealer programmed key in computer which now cannot read key and their solution is to bypass pats entirely. Or something to that affect.

Some vehicles the fuel delivery is part of pats as well. I have no idea if these trucks are starter only or fuel as well. But if so jumping the starter will not fix the issue.

You are right, the dealership just called and said that jumping the starter did not work, the engine would crank but not turn on.
They say they hope they'll get it going tomorrow.
I guess for now I just have to keep using the wife's vw touareg...which I don't mind :)

emtmark

Reaction score
Precisely why the term mechanic should be on par with some other advanced degree like Masters or something. Dealership technicians are, by and large good guessing (with the help of onboard diagnostics) parts changers. There are a few mechanics mixed in there to help with the atypical stuff but really they toss it on the computer and change the part that's bad, see if it worked. Wash rinse repeat until the complaint goes away. To understand intimately and be able to extrapolate the possible problems from such complex machines and accurately diagnose issue/fix is truly a dedicated talent.
Their reports to you only highlight the obvious that they are following some flowchart and not thinking ahead. Billing more hours and costing you money.
I spend hours and hours pouring over forums learning this stuff so if one day I'm sitting there I can have an inkling of what the eff is going on.
I'm not saying every body at the dealers is a parts changer but there more the exception than the rule. The parts changers know who they are and after a few months if they haven't started to put the effort into truly learning the ins outs and interactions of their brands systems then parts changers they will remain.
Today I learned PATS is tied to fuel system as well as starter, another nugget filed away. Thank you for sharing your trials and tribulations so others may learn. Thank you others for sharing what you know and educating the rest of us [emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lostneye

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Can they completely reflash the computer and start from scratch? If not at this point I would be pushing for a new computer at their expense instead of hack wiring band aid fixes.

OP
OP
Kk4yvx

Kk4yvx

Reaction score
I just left the dealership, they are starting from scratch. They said the new ebay keys I gave them didn't work, so they are now trying to program keys from their parts dept.
They will let me know how it turns out later today.
...the saga continues...!!!

emtmark

Reaction score
Keep the updates rolling

k9education

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Precisely why the term mechanic should be on par with some other advanced degree like Masters or something. Dealership technicians are, by and large good guessing (with the help of onboard diagnostics) parts changers. There are a few mechanics mixed in there to help with the atypical stuff but really they toss it on the computer and change the part that's bad, see if it worked. Wash rinse repeat until the complaint goes away.

You nailed it. I have been going to independent mechanics for as long as I can remember. For the last decade or so, I have only gone to 3 different shops and all 3 have managed to fix my problems without tossing the entire pan of s**t at the wall just to see what sticks.

In May I purchased a Ford CPO Expedition. In the last 3 months I have made SIX trips to Ford dealerships (5 to the same dealership) in order to get a few simple problems fixed. It took me 3 trips to get a faulty rear view camera replaced. It took me 5 trips to get a faulty passenger side running board assembly replaced. It has taken me 3 trips thus far for the driver side running board and the problem still persists. I am only continuing to deal with them because I have a warranty for another 9K miles. When it's done, I will take my business back to my independent mechanics as I have done for the last 20 years.

I just left the dealership, they are starting from scratch. They said the new ebay keys I gave them didn't work, so they are now trying to program keys from their parts dept.
They will let me know how it turns out later today.
...the saga continues...!!!

Wait ... They said they can't program any keys because the PATS was disabled, but now they're going to try to program their own keys? So are they now saying the PATS has been re-enabled? They sound completely lost.

emtmark

Reaction score
May I pm you about he rearview? Mine turns on randomly ****** the wife off to no end, end thread jack

emtmark

Reaction score
Soooooo didja get it goin?

OP
OP
Kk4yvx

Kk4yvx

Reaction score
Sorry about the delay, been kinda busy.
I did get the truck back five days after I took it in . Damage was $575.00 for programmed keys that I really did not need. If I had known, I would have made me a non-chipped copy for 3 dollars. Because all I needed was a spare key.Oh well!!!
They reprogrammed the PATS, but now the door lock buttons don't work!!!
Before they worked fine and all doors automatically locked as soon as I start the engine. Not anymore!!
So I'll probably and reluctantly, take it back to them as soon as I get some free time

k9education

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sorry about the delay, been kinda busy.
I did get the truck back five days after I took it in . Damage was $575.00 for programmed keys that I really did not need. If I had known, I would have made me a non-chipped copy for 3 dollars. Because all I needed was a spare key.Oh well!!!
They reprogrammed the PATS, but now the door lock buttons don't work!!!
Before they worked fine and all doors automatically locked as soon as I start the engine. Not anymore!!
So I'll probably and reluctantly, take it back to them as soon as I get some free time

Damn! I would have protested paying anything. If I was forced to, I'd probably be down at the magistrate filing for small claims.

These dealerships are all crooked. I just found out from Ford that there should be NO diagnostics fee for anyone with a CPO warranty and yet 2 dealerships tried to charge me one. The only reason I found out I was never supposed to pay it is because I complained to Ford about it.