dEATH WOBBLE- 01 expedition

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bcmaxx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So what is cause of death wobble in an expedition? happens if I hit a good bump or pothole, going over 60 km/h ( 40mph . just starts shaking until i slow until it goes away or sometimes I need to come to an almost stop. shakes the whole front end, steering wheel violently. I'm very familiar with death wobble being a jeep guy. checked the usuals: tie rod ends, steering play, ball joints, wheel hubs, shocks, and theres nothing thats popping out. I run 40psi in the tires. It had p rated tires on before, and I switched to lt geolanders, could it be the tires?

FordandPolaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hmm thats a new one... Plenty of F-250's with the straight front axle deal with that but I have not heard of anyone with an Expy experiencing that. I had my old shocks go out on me and it was like driving a carnival ride. But no wobble, just vertical sway going down the road.

I assume it did not do this before switching tires?

OP
OP
B

bcmaxx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hmm thats a new one... Plenty of F-250's with the straight front axle deal with that but I have not heard of anyone with an Expy experiencing that. I had my old shocks go out on me and it was like driving a carnival ride. But no wobble, just vertical sway going down the road.

I assume it did not do this before switching tires?

no not at all, but i bought it with baby ass smooth blizzaks on it, so they were softer than soft, and went straight to lt's . maybe ill try dropping pressure to 35psi , and look at upgrading shocks. what are good? I run bilstein 5160's on my heep, I may add 2 inches later on so I want to keep it cheap for now. Just some monroe reflex?

tonydiv

technical advisor
Reaction score
The Expedition has great suspension geometry, unlike those Jeeps.

If you're getting true death wobble, then SOMETHING is worn out in that suspension. I'd also have them double check the balance on those new tires.

FordandPolaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would agree with the tire balancing. My tires are put up to about 45psi and are 10 ply (pretty thick). I have no issues with the front suspension getting out of hand.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Check:
air pressure
tire for out of roundness
slipped belt

Have someone watch the front end as you approach at speed or better yet have them record it and post online.

Jay87LX

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would look at the pitman arm first- I had a car (older 80's cadillac boat) did the same thing you describe- Keep in mind all steering inputs whether from the streering wheel going out to the wheels or from the wheels coming in- it all gets bottlenecked at the Pitman arm

Mediamonkey11

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I just had geolanders put on as well with zero problems, in fact I've been impressed with how smooth and assured they are, mine are 8ply by the way. I have also switched to coil springs from the air shocks, man was the ride bouncy! Front shocks were shot beyond shot.

Did you try lifting the front end up, supporting it via a cross member or the frame, and then checking all suspensions components?

OP
OP
B

bcmaxx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just had geolanders put on as well with zero problems, in fact I've been impressed with how smooth and assured they are, mine are 8ply by the way. I have also switched to coil springs from the air shocks, man was the ride bouncy! Front shocks were shot beyond shot.

Did you try lifting the front end up, supporting it via a cross member or the frame, and then checking all suspensions components?

no, I'll re-check everything, I suspect bad shocks, they look original, but arent leaking at all

carlwesley

Reaction score
Did you ever find the cause of this, I have experienced the same shake in my 1998 expedition. I have had it checked at shops and no one can seem to find any issues.

CWR