decisions decisions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
nvycrmn

nvycrmn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i cannot find an application for my truck, and i am getting pissed off! whipple has said no f150 and no expedition. so now i asked them about the lightning and how it would differ from my application. i have no friggin idea. at the rate i am going, i am probably just going to have to do the damn engine swap. for you boys who have already done it, you wanna PM me with a rough idea of what i am goin to be spending on this little venture of mine!

OP
OP
nvycrmn

nvycrmn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
after doing some more reading, there are some guys out there that used the Allen (eaton m-90) kit that makes the engine bay look almost completely stock...cannot see the blower! problem is, only 75hp for almost $4500, with no other engine mods (bigger injectors, headers, etc). not sure i am ready to spend that kind of cash on less than 100rwhp gains. thoughts?

Thermo

technical advisor
Reaction score
nvycrmn, I have to admit that the Lightning motor is a different beast than the 5.4L in your truck. But that is mainly due to different internal components (forged crank, different intake, lower compression pistons, all found in the lightning motor). But, the block itself is the same. So, if you can find a wrecked lightning, you should be able to pull the entire blower system off of that truck and it will bolt directly on to your truck. Since some of the Lightnings used a whipple supercharger, I find it rather interesting that Whipple says that they don't make one for the Fords (unless it is a contract thing since Ford used their blowers and Ford wants you to buy the Lightning).

I say do some more looking.

OP
OP
nvycrmn

nvycrmn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
well the only thing that i can seem to dig up for roots style is the allen system that uses an eaton sc. i got my email back from whipple and they said that they are just an upgrade to the lightning motor. i am beginning to think that guy is an idiot. if it bolts to the lightning, then it should bolt to my engine. let me worry about the internals! i am still looking around. found a guy on another forum that had the allen on his 01 expy but he is selling it now cuz he is building the entire motor. only had it 50k miles. could probably pick up relatively cheap. i have no friggin idea. starting to get irritated! haha

99exbyut

Reaction score
i know im kinda in late but what about doing a 7.3 powerstroke swap. i know its a big motor but if you could make it fit. and if you do a SAS swap you could track down some 1-Ton ford axles.

OP
OP
nvycrmn

nvycrmn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i would LOVE to do a diesel swap but that would take a whole lot of time, money, and fabrication. that may be a project later down the road. if i cannot find a bolt-on application for my rig, i will probably buy something else as my DD and just start tearing into this thing and "build the beast".

kentv6

Reaction score
Start with lightining swap ford racing performance parts has a whipple supercharger that bolts on the lightining intake. It will cost you around 2 or 3k
for just the lightning supercharger swap with no engine work. I would also build the engine and trans.

99 Expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Good luck with your decision nvy. I am getting closer to being able to unleash on my expy.... motor, tranny, and when they go, the axles...