Detroit Locking differential

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
T

The eXpedition

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am thinking if I install the ARB locker in the front axle, if I engage it, how is the steering experience?? any hiccups?

AggieExpo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
As long as the ARB is not locked you really shouldn't notice a difference. The ARB acts as an open diff when not engaged if I'm correct. If you don't want to mess with the air compressor you could use a powertank co2 unit. Very popular or use an ox locker up front. Unfortunately for the rear due to the diff cover you are only left with ARB locker.

It sucks but what you gonna do. I would love a Detroit but I've heard to many bad things about them being used for everyday driving. So because of the complexity of installing a rear locker with my lift I'm opting to not use any locker in the rear until I do not find a suitable choice. Which may never come.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Shaky

Reaction score
The eX - good question about locking the front. Locking the front will usually only be used to get you through relatively ugly stuff. Then you'll turn the locker off. Front lockers severely limit your turning performance because both front tires are forced to turn the exact same speed. You can turn, but your turning radius will be much larger.

My guess is that since you are considering a front locker, you are considering going off road in areas that will articulate your suspension. It is amazing how much suspension articulation will bind up your steering as well. Because of that I know a number of people that have installed hydraulic assist to their steering - in their off-road rigs. I'm guessing you won't get to that point, but the turning issues caused by the front locker combined with suspension articulation will be a surprise the first time you experience it.

I'm not bad mouthing front lockers. They are awesome to have when you need them. But they are an expensive toy that only has one use.

I can see having a locker in the rear if you're going off-road in what I'd call 'mild' areas. If I were in a job that normally took me off-road, I'd probably have a selectable rear locker and a winch on the front. The winch can be used for many other things. It can also save your butt if you're out there alone. If you get stuck with a front locker and you're alone, that's not a good feeling. (For the record, I never wheel alone)

I've used my winch to hold my truck in place on a steep hill while replacing tires, to move trees that have fallen across the trail, to put other trucks back on their wheels after rolling over, to straighten bent frame supports, pull bushes out of my front yard, and to help me get out of situations my lockers have gotten me in to. :D

Last edited: