Diesel swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

darmahsd

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There is actually a Ford diesel that was made for the Expedition and F150. You can thank marketing- the suits and bean counters, for not making it reality. That engine is a 4.4liter turbodiesel V8. It could be found currently as an option in Range Rovers over in Europe. Ford thought it too expensive an option over here and also didn't want it to compete economy wise with the Eco-Boost. But you can't get that engine in an Expedition either. Sort of makes the Expedition a lame duck. You just don't know what Ford has planned for it. I hope it doesn't go the way of what they made the Explorer and Escape into. The 4.4 turbo diesel would be perfect in the Expedition and I think folks would find a way to pay whatever the premium would be.

OP
OP
A

arthur g

Reaction score
With no other changes to the engine, going to LPG will actually lose you a bit of power and mileage (a guy tends to lean on the pedal harder when power is down). Back in the day I drove a courier van here in the city that I had converted to the stuff (was 5-15¢ a litre when gas was going for 80¢). My power was definately a little down from when it was on gas and the system was very tempermental in the cold.

Have a read here for a bit of info about it

The other big downside to a propane vehicle; finding gas stations that have it. I don't know about down south, but up here it is losing popularity (I think because the savings on the price difference just aren't there, only about $0.25 a litre last time I looked) and the cost of the conversion can be quite high - I paid ~ $2,500 back in the early 90's and that was with a gov't incentive reduction. Road trips were particularly difficult, there was always a great amount of time spent researching where fueling stations were located and the hours they were open (no such thing as self-serve propane), it really restricted the routes I could take and the hours I could travel.

Oh, and parking in enclosed, heated, or underground garages is off limits too. the whole gas expansion thing can cause a release from the tank. I don't know about elsewhere, but here it is illegal to park a propane vehicle indoors.

I would not drive another propane vehicle myself, the upsides simply do not out weigh the downs for my use.

However, there is huge potential for increased power if you build the engine specifically for it due to a much higher octane rating - plus it runs much cleaner than gas. The shop that did my conversion also raced cars at the local track and ran propane; apparently they built the engines like they would for race gas, but ran super cheap fuel instead.
Who the hell buys propane by the leitre its either pound or gallon.....

Sent from my C525c using Tapatalk

CR_Magruder

Reaction score
there is someone on here that put a 4bt into a 2nd gen. He posted a thread about it

http://www.expeditionforum.com/f42/expy-diesel-conversion-22051/

here is direct link to his fte page

2003 Expedition re-power with Cummins 4BT - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

The most complete build-up thread is on the 4BTswaps.com site:
2003 Ford Expedition

You have to create a user name and log in to see most of the pictures.

I now have about 40,000 miles on the swap. So far, so good.

CR

Yudaman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I thought everyone here in Oregon ran Powerstroke's or Cummins??? :)

Even worse, got to Ashland or Eugene and be overwhelmed with Subaru's and Pruis'. Damn tree huggers...