Differential Cooler

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

splintrcel

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have two oil coolers sitting around and i dont know what to do with them. What about using one of them on the rear differential because i know the fluid can heat up quite a bit. Any thoughts???

Last edited:
OP
OP
splintrcel

splintrcel

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I do have a towing package by the way so i already have the tranny cooler

Alienxtx

Reaction score
How do you plan on pumping the oil through the cooler? The diff oil is not under pressure.
You would have to drill/tap a feed and return line into the diff and add a pump, IMO I dont think it would be worth the trouble.

Last edited:

tonydiv

technical advisor
Reaction score
Not just that, you would also need a temp activated switch, because you wouldn't want that pump to turn on while the fluid was cold, you'll burn up the pump trying to move that thick goo.

You could always add a secondary trans cooler (they can never be too cool) or a power steering cooler, or even an engine oil cooler.

OP
OP
splintrcel

splintrcel

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have never thought of the power steering cooler. What can i expect to get out of a oil cooler.

OP
OP
splintrcel

splintrcel

Full Access Members
Reaction score
And what will i get out of a power steering cooler. I wouldnt imagine that would get that hot.

tonydiv

technical advisor
Reaction score
Then you've never done any real heavy off roading. Power steering fluid boiling out of the pump is pretty common.

Whack

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Our power steering pump is driven by the belt at a speed related to engine speed. So you get this:

Towing/off-roading->Higher Engine Speed->Higher Pump Speed->Higher Fluid Temp->Faster Fluid Breakdown->Lower Pump life

There are a few cars and trucks that use a PS cooler as part of the towing package. No kidding, the Honda minivan is one of them.

Besides a second benefit is with the cooler you have more PS fluid. I consider it a plus.