Disconnecting the A4wd

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dphillips067

Reaction score
I have a 2001 expy eddie bauer with 5.4 and i want to disconnect the a4wd how do I go about doing this? any help would be great.

Lane24

technical advisor
Reaction score
I always wonder why people want to do that too.... I wish my Jeep had that instead of the electronic traction control.... Love the A4wd for the snow and ice.

panda24619

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i LOVE 2wd! nice to do burn outs and to test your ability to go off roading with it. then turn the switch and BAM! 4wd. only reason i use A4wd is in the mountains to help so i dont lose traction in the turns or in the wet. in the snow i use 4HI.

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
Easiest way is to pull fuse 104 in the fuse block under the hood. 30amp close to firewall. This will disable all 4wd functions.

You will see no saving in fuel economy if that is your intention because the front drivetrain components will still spin it just will be unable to engage the clutch in the transfer case to apply power to the front wheels.

There is the brown wire mod if you want to be able to turn it on and off on demand. Do a search on this site.

Last edited:

panda24619

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Easiest way is to pull fuse 104 in the fuse block under the hood. 30amp close to firewall. This will disable all 4wd functions.

You will see no saving in fuel economy if that is your intention because the front drivetrain components will still spin it just will be unable to engage the clutch in the transfer case to apply power to the front wheels.

There is the brown wire mod if you want to be able to turn it on and off on demand. Do a search on this site.

is that on the "newer" 1st gens? cause i know on the 97 98s the front is disconnected when in 2wd. because it has a vacuum line attached for the front diff to engage it. allowing it to freely spin. like disengaging hubs on "4x4" trucks. cause i can go under my truck and spin the front d-shaft of my truck and my dads jeep, when his hubs are unlocked. but i cant on my uncles jeep cause his are spinning full time.

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
is that on the "newer" 1st gens? cause i know on the 97 98s the front is disconnected when in 2wd. because it has a vacuum line attached for the front diff to engage it. allowing it to freely spin. like disengaging hubs on "4x4" trucks. cause i can go under my truck and spin the front d-shaft of my truck and my dads jeep, when his hubs are unlocked. but i cant on my uncles jeep cause his are spinning full time.

They did away with the center axle disconnect I believe sometime in 99?! It remained that way until they started using the IWE's in 2003?! Not certain of exact timeline. I do know that mine has no center axle disconnect or IWE's.

Last edited:

panda24619

Full Access Members
Reaction score
well lucky for you guys. i HATE it. just another thing to break/not work. haha

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
well lucky for you guys. i HATE it. just another thing to break/not work. haha

Yeah...but we have no 2wd selection.. :(
Thought about getting the selector switch from one of the earlier expys that has the 2wd selection and using it to switch the "brown" wire. Depends on how the switch is set up.

Last edited:

10"wheel

Reaction score

Hello all, this is my 1st post on this forum, I have recently aquired a 99 expy awd 5.4 trans code e. I tried disconnecting fuse 104, and it disengaged the transfer case, but it also killed my radio. Is there a cable going to the transfer case that I can disconnect without causing a problem? Thanks in advance!