Display audio track on gauge cluster screen?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ah ok. I just plug my phone in and close the compartment. Everything I need to do with waze can be done via the center screen...even has voice search.
I should give CarPlay another shot... the times I’ve used it I’ve found it annoying but that was a year or so ago.

carymccarr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I should give CarPlay another shot... the times I’ve used it I’ve found it annoying but that was a year or so ago.

Yeah you may want to try it again. I find most car manufacturers interfaces infuriating compared to Apple. Love or hate apple, they know how to build fisher price easy intuitive interfaces.

Voice activated/hands free music (hey Siri, play this album) and navigation (hey Siri, navigate to address XYZ) works great.

I actually wish manufacturers would outsource their interface builds to phone manufacturers. Then we wouldn’t be stuck with ridiculous limitations like not being able to combine station presets from different sources etc.

Last edited:

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah you want to try it again. I find most car manufacturers interfaces infuriating compared to Apple. Love or hate apple, they know how to build fisher price easy intuitive interfaces.

Voice activated/hands free music (hey Siri, play this album) and navigation (hey Siri, navigate to address XYZ) worlds great.
You can still use Siri with the voice command button on the steering wheel when not using car play, this is how I access it.

carymccarr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You can still use Siri with the voice command button on the steering wheel when not using car play, this is how I access it.

Not hands free though. Nit picky I suppose.

I’m not a fan of Bluetooth audio. Especially with tidal or any HIFI streaming.

Everything is available with carplay plugged in except they disable weather (wtf) and native nav (yay! But again, wtf).

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Not hands free though. Nit picky I suppose.

I’m not a fan of Bluetooth audio. Especially with tidal or any HIFI streaming.

Everything is available with carplay plugged in except they disable weather (wtf) and native nav (yay! But again, wtf).
You can’t say ‘hey Siri’? I don’t have wireless charging in my phone so I’m usually plugged in anyway.

The button on the steering wheel is as hands free as you can get unless you’re a right hand amputee.
Whatever works though... I get it.

wakeboarder

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ah ok. I just plug my phone in and close the compartment. Everything I need to do with waze can be done via the center screen...even has voice search.

I can’t find the voice search anymore for Waze in carplay. It disappeared about a month ago. I’m on the most recent iOS and Waze version. Also Siri integration with Waze has stopped working. It is like they want you to type with your phone.

You can’t say ‘hey Siri’? I don’t have wireless charging in my phone so I’m usually plugged in anyway.

The button on the steering wheel is as hands free as you can get unless you’re a right hand amputee.
Whatever works though... I get it.

“hey Siri” works as long as the phone microphone can hear you. I think it may also work with the Apple EarPods.

Lou Hamilton

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Select the compass to be displayed while you have an active nav route with Sync Navigation and turn by turn will be displayed in cluster. Mind you it’s not the full map, but the arrows will display left, right, forward, u-turn, etc.

I meant via Waze and CarPlay. I know I can use the Sync Nav to display there. I just don't use that version personally.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I actually wish manufacturers would outsource their interface builds to phone manufacturers.

HAHAHA! They did. Sync 1 & 2 were Microsoft embedded Windows OS. Sync 3 uses an OS named QNX written by Balckberry(1 of the best of all time).

All the complaints about Sync 3, but it is STILL one of the best infotainment systems out there. There are better, BMW(But you have to pay a fee to use CarPlay). Ford takes to long for tweaks, but they do continue to update and make it better.