DIY - Oil change for a 2017 Expedition

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Habbibie

Is it Christmas yet?
Reaction score
Ouch. Tad harsh there, my friend!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yea that was harsh, sorry I was pretty pissed off yesterday regarding an unrelated subject and took it out on my fellow colleagues instead

OP
OP
NorthGeorgia

NorthGeorgia

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The Mobil One was on sale at Costco and I got the filter for cheap at Farm and Fleet. Maybe It was under $30....still a good deal.

Ooooops, The sale price of the 6 quarts of Mobil One at Costco was $26 and change and the filter (An OEM Ford one) was less than $4 at Farm and Fleet (sale price). So I guess my oil change was a tad over $30 (plus tax).

But that is still A LOT cheaper than what it would have cost me for a Fully Synthetic oil change anywhere else.

And now that I know how/what to do it won't take me as long next time. Now that I know how to 'contort' my 70+ year old body to get at stuff.

MidwestBoater

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I actually started doing this years ago, but with oil changes in my first boat, it had a 4 Cylinder I/O with a regular automotive style spin on filter. I put a trash bag under the oil filter before I removed it so I could keep the shiny white gelcoated bilge nice and clean. :)

That is a great idea. I changed my oil a few weeks ago and oil from the filter dripped everywhere. I cleaned as best I could with brake cleaner but the next morning I had a small pool of oil about 1 inch wide on the garage floor. I verified that the oil filter and oil pan plug were not leaking.

I think the zip lock bag idea will help the next time I tackle this. Thanks!

LRNAD90

Full Access Members
Reaction score
And now that I know how/what to do it won't take me as long next time. Now that I know how to 'contort' my 70+ year old body to get at stuff.

I hope I am still capable of doing my own oil changes when I reach your age, though I'm not sure I will still want to, if I make it there. LOL!

Dakota4ce

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I get a full synthetic change at our tire shop for $55 and that’s a NO BRAINER for me. And they have fresh cookies in the waiting room .

Good on ya for still doing it! I actually like it—like you—but convenience usually wins out. Sounds like this truck is a bearcat!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
An interesting thread. Especially with the concern of oil dripping off after an oil change; seems a bit odd when you read other threads about spraying the entire underbody with oil as a benefit.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
I had a dealer change my oil for ten years. Here's the damage sustained on various cars:

Oil plug threads stripped, replaced with plastic plug.
Oil plugs stripped, plug held in with two threads.
Oil overfilled one and one-half quart.
Oil filter installed with two gaskets (old one not removed) causing leak.
Leaking oil plug, not tightened. Finger tight.
Low oil level (three times).

That's why I change my own oil. Since I began maintaining my own cars with OEM parts, I've gotten no less than 265,000 miles from my Fords -- Excursion, Expeditions, Explorers, Focus, and Taurus. When I'm under the car I get to see the general condition of things. I find other problems before they cause more harm.

For me, it pays to get off my rear end and do the job nobody else is going to do the way I do.

Boostedbus

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Not sure if everyone is aware of this or not ,but if you twist those white plastic fasteners on rubber blanket that’s up front under drivers side, then it will flap down so you can access the oil filter from there. No need to remove metal pan for access, just the rubber trap door for oil to drain out through.48722431-2780-4B4C-847F-3A264930C2C1.jpeg

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think our friend Habbibie needs one of those cookies! Hey Henry they might have cold milk too!

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jefes_Shyt