Do you trust your first gen?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

John S

Reaction score
I'm possibly picking up a '99 XLT 4x4 with the 5.4 and 139k miles today or next week. I'm selling a car I financed because the allure of going back to no payments is too strong. I need a rig that is reliable enough to commute 40miles a day four times a week, haul a couple kids and a dog over mountain passes, and get up maintained logging roads to trail heads to hike and kayak. I'm relatively mechanically inclined, having come from a lifted '96 Cherokee and enjoy working on cars but I can't afford to have my car give up on me on my way to work, etc.

So the question is, do you trust your first gen Expedition to do what you ask of it without constantly worrying about it breaking down?

John S

Reaction score
Yes! Have 2000 Expy 5.4L, 208,500 miles, original owner. Only major issue in 19years was a cracked intake manifold. Repaired and runs as strong as ever. Make the purchase, dump the payments!

Craig Lasnier

Reaction score
I Absolutely trust mine! 116,000. and going strong. I trust this more than any of the newer ones. Just maintain it and stay a head of the rust.

Bruce Mitchell

Reaction score
I got mine ('99 EB 5.4L) just over three years ago with 215K on it (now over a quarter-million). Had to have one spark plug heli-coiled, replaced radiator, new brakes all around, some hoses & lines replaced, new serpentine belt, just replaced front control arms w/4-wheel alignment. New battery. Heater core flush. New tires. I don't consider any of those unusual on a 20-year-old vehicle. I keep it washed and waxed (lotsa road salt up here in The Northwoods) and do LOF @ 3/3K-ish. Stay on top of little things before they get big. Yeah, I trust the Red Mother.

Regular maintenance and the occasional repair is still hella cheaper than a car payment.

Yeah, I trust the Red Mother.:cheers:

tilliepeople

Reaction score
I think the key word here is "maintenance"
I picked up a 2001 with 180000 miles
PO insisted he had all the maintenance done .Turned out he did nothing .
Trans went 2 weeks later with not a drop of fluid .This was my fault as i left on a vacation right after I bought it and my granddaughter was driving it without fluid.
Replaced most of the steering components ,air bags , brake lines ect.
Still love to drive it but it was a very expensive lesson .

lonestarjeff

Reaction score
That's really low mileage for a first gen. My 2000 xlt has about the same. I can't speak to the 4x4 system since mine is 4x2, but if the previous owner didn't abuse the truck you should have many trouble free miles ahead of you. I've had mine since '05 with normal maintenance plus an alternator & some door lock actuators. Hard to guess what the previous owner of yours did or didn't do, though.

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
A 99 1st gen, will nickle and dime you. A 40 mile a day commute will cost you $75-80 /week in gas. These get around 12-14mpg. I own a 2000 with 108K. I drive 5 miles to work and only use it in the winter. I have a backup/second car. Last year I drove it 2,100mi. In one year I replaced a tierod and both upper ball joints(replace myself). My rear axle seal went($220). The year before I replaced the rear lower trailing arms, serpentine belt and a brake line(limped it home). The year before a power steering line went, battery died, front wheel bearing and lower ball joints. A exhaust manifold cracked and the other side had broken bolts. I replaced a rotted muffler. The ABS pump motor went. The year before that transmission lines, AC compressor/line/evaporator and brakes all around(new calipers/rotors). I am pretty sure I have a partially blocked Catalytic converter. Does this sound fun? Its not. I totally would not trust my 1st gen. In fact this will be the last winter, I own it. My next vehicle most likely won't be a Ford. In my opinion, Fords are good until 75,000mi. After that, they nickle and dime you. Don't do it.

Last edited:

Plati

Reaction score
….. In my opinion, Fords are good until 75,000mi. After that, they nickle and dime you....
My 2014EL with 93,000 miles … other than the usual required maintenance
(oil & filter, air filter, brakes, tires, wiper blades, battery, plugs)
… here is all the maintenance I've had to do --> NONE.

I have put about $300 worth of Fluid Film & Krown Oil Treatment into it.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
Had a 2000 with 260K miles. Only problem that stranded me was a blown out spark plug. Got rid of it when it began weeping oil from a head gasket. As they say above, maintenance is key. And fix stuff before it gets too bad. Keep up with the car and it will keep on going. Loved that truck. Used it as an investigator/accident responder for the first seven years.

All gen owner

Reaction score
Our home is in Texas but my son goes to college in Wyoming so our 2002 XLT 4x4 with 144000 miles has been driven 14 hours to Wyoming then spends the winter there and driven back to Texas in the spring. We bought it new and have always done the scheduled maintenance so I feel that it is still reliable and I trust to get my son around in the mountains to go skiing and making a few trips to Denver. I did install the heli-coils on all cylinders since I know that is the weak spot.