Does anyone have any experience with 55 watt 3000k HIDs?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dexter

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don't like to follow trends. Everyone around here is running like 12,000k HID kits and they're starting to get old IMO. People think the higher the color temperature, the cooler they are...I saw some kid running 30,000k pink a few days ago bragging about how he ran 30,000k's. Well I want to do the complete opposite as everyone...run LOW color temp HID's lol. I'm running 6000k's right now, but I'm having trouble seeing on black roads at night...especially if the road is wet. (windshield is tinted) I think some 55 watt 3000k's would look pretty tight and help me see at night as well since 3000k puts out the most lumens. I've never seen any 3000ks in person though. I know 35 watt 3000k's are usually pretty yellow but my guess is that running them at 55 would make the color shift more towards a really bright, whitish-brownish-yellowish color. I could be wrong though. Does anyone have experience with the color of 3000ks? I've watched Youtube videos, but HID videos really don't give you any idea of what the color will look like in person lol.

alaskanexpy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i put 3000ks in my grandpas fog lights on his '04 f-150 along with 6000k headlights. you can see forever with that set-up in whatever kind of road condition you can throw at it. i'd say go for it!

the color is PURE yellow! no doubts about it its friggin yellow!

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
are you running HIDs in your fogs? i frequent florida a lot...j-ville...st augustine...daytona...orlando...and i have no prob at night with my 6k lights...i think if you ran those 4300k/5k/6k at 55w...you should be good to go...the person to ask is Thermo...has training in HIDs

Last edited:

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure how lax enforcement is over there, but you'll get stopped here. It's pretty obvious when someone has 3000K color temp bulbs.

SOLISIMO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would put the 35watt 3k in the fog lights and the 4500k 55 watt in the headlights. I would though research how the 55watt affects the wiring etc.... I remember searching google awhile back for 55watt hid and several threads and post from various forums came up. Some from f150online which would be your best comparison.

PS: running 3k in your headlights regardless of wattage will get you stopped in a hurry. Those things are bright lol

tallsville

Full Access Members
Reaction score
thermo is definitely the person to ask. he is the electrical wiz here. if i remember correctly, the 55w will wash out some of the color, so the 3ks wont be as yellow. but i would do as alaskan says 35w 3ks fog and keep your 6k heads

Attachments

• DSCF0003.jpg
    DSCF0003.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 780
Last edited:
OP
OP
Dexter

Dexter

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well I know that 35 watt 3000k lows would get me stopped in a hurry, but I think that 55 watt lows would almost look like halogens. 55 watts does wash a lot of color out. I wanted to run 55 watt fogs as well. Although I read that might not be a good idea since they heat up a lot more. Maybe 35 watt in the fogs, 55 in the lows? I wish someone with 55 watt 3000's could tell me what they look like lol. Pictures don't do much justice. I'm not too worried about getting stopped...people around here roll around with 30,000k PINK, green, 20,000k SOLID blue. It's not like you can't see the color either...I'd say there's more color than usable light coming out of those things lol. I've yet to see any 3000k kits roaming the street though...time to change that.

@SOLISMO My electrical is all upgraded, I have an 18" sub on 2,000 watts rms. If it can handle that, I think it can handle some 55 watt hids. A relay would be necessary though. BTW, I love your truck. I'm rocking a thin blue line on the back!

7f2e0d62.jpg

Last edited:

SOLISIMO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well I know that 35 watt 3000k lows would get me stopped in a hurry, but I think that 55 watt lows would almost look like halogens. 55 watts does wash a lot of color out. I wanted to run 55 watt fogs as well. Although I read that might not be a good idea since they heat up a lot more. Maybe 35 watt in the fogs, 55 in the lows? I wish someone with 55 watt 3000's could tell me what they look like lol. Pictures don't do much justice. I'm not too worried about getting stopped...people around here roll around with 30,000k PINK, green, 20,000k SOLID blue. It's not like you can't see the color either...I'd say there's more color than usable light coming out of those things lol. I've yet to see any 3000k kits roaming the street though...time to change that.

@SOLISMO My electrical is all upgraded, I have an 18" sub on 2,000 watts rms. If it can handle that, I think it can handle some 55 watt hids. A relay would be necessary though. BTW, I love your truck. I'm rocking a thin blue line on the back!

7f2e0d62.jpg

lol cool! But I would also be weary about it melting the plastic housing.

OP
OP
Dexter

Dexter

Full Access Members
Reaction score
lol cool! But I would also be weary about it melting the plastic housing.

Yeah, that what I was saying. People say 55 watt HIDs in a stock headlight won't melt anything. They say it's the fogs that you need to be careful with since they're so much smaller.

SOLISIMO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dex check on f150online.com

I remember seeing a couple of threads about this bro......