Door Drain Plugs -- Replace?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
Had water sloshing in my left rear door for a week or more with some dripping out. Finally determined there's a plug over the rather large drain hole(s) and it was full of mud -- probably the infamous pine pollen that covers everything in Virginia the spring.

Door gushed water for a while -- I got splashed!

Letting it fully dry before replacing or is there any reason to replace the plug? Just leave it out?

-- Chuck

Plati

Reaction score
Its a Forum ... some will say put it back - others say leave them out.
Rarely any consensus on anything

I left mine OUT & I did all 4 doors and rear liftgate while at it, although rear not an issue.

I also "spray clean" the window opening after crud season.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Its a Forum ... some will say put it back - others say leave them out.
Rarely any consensus on anything

I left mine OUT & I did all 4 doors and rear liftgate while at it, although rear not an issue.

I also "spray clean" the window opening after crud season.

I agree.

My 2015 Expedition Limited 4x4 is the first vehicle I have owned in 50+ years that had plugs in the bottom door drain openings.

I wish I could get a definitive answer why Ford puts these plugs in - which often causes the doors to not drain, and cause water to accumulate inside them?

Last edited:

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
I've read that they are there to keep dust out. These trucks are sold for many different markets and are used in all different conditions. The plugs are usually designed to block dust but permit water to drip out.

They clog and then you get the sloshing water. If you're in a very dusty place, you may need the plugs, as the doors otherwise will fill up with dust which will get on the glass and cause scratching. In the northeast, where I am, driving mostly on paved roads, I've let many of them out and never had problems.