Drilled & slotted brakes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

yammerslammer

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think my Expy could use some better performing brakes. Has anybody tried any aftermarket drilled & slotted rotors recently or in the past? Also, do you feel its worth it?

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Not really worth it. Get better pads. Something that doesn't have a lifetime warranty. Something that doesn't really tout "low dust".

I have Hawk LTS pads all around. Stops great- even on extended mountain driving while loaded up with camping gear.

superexpy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I do! I believe they where only 250 on ebay for all four. I didnt use the pads tho because they like to get my wheels dirty so i bought the best pads the autopart store had. not sure if you can see them in this pic but they are there

11295775_10206781459198028_2019032860579095284_n.jpg

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
to me its worth it with my 26 inch rims...I didn't have any brake dust on my rims either...I switch to stocks for a couple days once and the stopping distance decreased for me and im totally happy with it...also put them on my wife's Altima with her 22s...love them

Lostneye

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Drilled is for looks, slotted may net some benefit on initial bite. The pads are where you'll get the most from without going to a big brake kit. Get quality rotors, personally I like Centric. And I agree with ExplorerTom about the Hawk HPS and staying away form low dust. I would also shy away from "performance" ceramic pads.

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
and the big brake kits are what...drilled and slotted...they help with heat dissipation to keep the rotors/pads cooler than non-slotted and/or slotted/drilled....do ppl NEED them...no...but they do serve a purpose and in many applications provide better performance than just having good pads...I was able to tell a drastic difference with big rims and without...stopping power and distance

Lostneye

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Drilled is for looks which is why they are still offered. Race cars don't have drilled rotors anymore. Some big brake kits are following race brake tech and offering other types like J hook. Drilled are prone to cracking if abused or low quality metal like some of the ebay rotors.

Either way as long as you have a quality set of rotors the pads are going to make the most difference.