driveline clunk when braking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Edmaude

Reaction score
I have been getting a slight clunk in the driveline if I apply the brakes hard after I am accelerating. I have 97k on the truck and had the rear u-joints replaced under warranty at 70k. I crawled underneath the truck and everything seems tight. I

The clunk is not violent, but it is noticeable especially in stop and go traffic type driving. Any insight as to what it may be? I have about 3 weeks left of driving before I am over the 100k certifieed used powertrain and extended warranty I purchased.

FordandPolaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Had any brake work done lately? Check the calipers to see if they have room to move. I have had problems where the metal spacer is not installed on the top or bottom and when the caliper grabs it moves slightly with the rotor. Causes a single clunk every time the brakes are applied.

OP
OP
E

Edmaude

Reaction score
I haven't had the brakes touched in at least 30k and this just started to happen.

Copper93

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Have you checked the motor and transmission mounts? I know it is a Chevy but my trailblazer has a slip yoke that binds. I have to drop the driveshaft and put grease it about every year or so. It mostly binds when stopping hard. It feels like someone rear ends you when it releases.

OP
OP
E

Edmaude

Reaction score
Driveline Clunk

I went over everything under the truck on a friends lift a few weeks ago and we did not see any loose mounts, or u-joints etc. I now have 105k on the truck and am still getting the clunking on occasion when braking and also when the load is taken off the drive train such as stop and go traffic etc.

It happens at all speeds as well. I'm stumped, any added insight? I did also have my local shop remove the drive shaft last week and grease the threads on that go into the transfer case when I had my tires rotated. I read many articles on the F-150 slip yoke clunking so figures this may resolve my issue.

I suppose it still could be the u-joints, but they have less than 40,000 miles since being replaced under warranty.

I do also notice a bit more of a clunk when putting in drive and reverse lately as well

FordandPolaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would still check the brakes. Those metal tabs have worked their way all the way out to the rim on me before. I end up beating them back into place with a small hammer. Try and imagine what is happening when you hear the clunk. Eventually you will notice a pattern and be able to narrow it down if the brakes are still not the cause.

After that you might have to drop the trans pan to see the condition of it.

2007Limited

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My buddy was getting something similar coming from his driveshaft. I believe it needed to have the grease repacked.

Hope this helps,
Chris

OP
OP
E

Edmaude

Reaction score
So far I have done the following items and still get intermittent clunking when the drive line unloads and I apply the brakes

-Grease packed into the input shaft on the t-case ( as per article son F-150 sites)
-spare tire tight
-brakes checked and no issues with pads being loose or metal clips out of place

My next move is to replace the u-joints and hope that solves this. Other than that all I can think of it excess slop in the axle itself, which would suck.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tan Khai Nguyen