Driver window - Gem? Bad wire? Suggestions?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Amywarhol

Reaction score
Hi there - First time poster. I have a 98 Expy XLT. Recently the window began to go down on its own; would roll up each time no problem. Now it will not go down at all via the switch. I took the door apart, tested wires at switch harness - power from each of the three wires when expected. I tested all the way to door jamb; removed the rubber protector tube, tested some more, all good. Still no power to the motor when the switch is in the down position. My guess is that there is power going to the switch, but not to the motor. Hence, it is either the gem module or some kind of issue with a relay or....????? I crossed the wires at the motor, pushed the window button up and the window went down. (motor and regulator ok) . I am hoping to rig another switch (20 amp 12V momentary) , one for making the window go down and the original for making it go up. Too cold and snowy here to do the gem at this point is that is the problem. Just looking for advice and suggestions.

OP
OP
A

Amywarhol

Reaction score
Update - I removed the kick panel from the driver's side, BINGO! There was a hole in the floorboard (thanks NY state - RUST); just above the hole was a wire harness that was soaked and corroded. I cut that out and spliced the wires together then sealed the splices with heat shrink tape. Seems to be good to go!

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
Congrats on your fix! Sucks about the rust. :(

Salt is evil!!

OP
OP
A

Amywarhol

Reaction score
Window Issue

In the end I had to replace the master window switch as well. After removing the wire harness, the window was still working only occasionally, and weird stuff started happening, like the passenger window control would roll UP the driver's window... odd. I ended up replacing the master switch on the driver's side and everything is perfect now. Not sure how the combination between the rusted harness caused the switch to be bad too, but anyway it finally works like it should.

FordandPolaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had a similar problem with my window deciding to go down on its own in cold weather. I tried a new switch and no good, so I ended up narrowing it down to the one-touch down function. I picked up a cheap on-off-on switch from Autozone. Mounted that right above the window unlock button and wired it into the window motor. Works great.

prawlusz

Reaction score
same window and power lock problem w/ my 98 expedition

Removed the driver side kick panel and uncovered a large rusted hole in floor board directly below the connector that routs the wires from the drivers door to the GEM. 3 of the 7 wires needed to be spliced also along with redoing the ground and fixing the hole. Glad it wasn't a GEM or relay box issue.THANKS !!!! for your post.
ps. I also live in NY.

OP
OP
A

Amywarhol

Reaction score
Salt and Electrical don't mix!

Awesome! So glad I was able to help you out! I would be willing to guess that this is a common problem in these parts... I am in Ithaca, how about you? Amy