Driver window stuck motor appears to work

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nochruto

Reaction score
Looking for affirmation here. Driver window over the last 6 months have been getting worse as far as opening and closing it would often need assistance by me using my hands to put it up. Now it completely doesn’t open at all(i can hear the motor when i press the buttons). Reading threads on this subject it appears it maybe the regulator. I took panel off and noticed this cable was rusting and snapped(probably attached to regulator). My question is do I need an entire new regulator or can i just purchase/replace this cable?

Attachments

• IMG_7400.jpeg
    IMG_7400.jpeg
    176.1 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_7401.jpeg
    IMG_7401.jpeg
    98.6 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

Gary Waugh

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have never been able to purchase just the cable, I did buy some cable from a garage for repairing throttle cables and fitted it to the mechanism on the driver side window when my cable rusted and broke and it worked, but the window was still a bit slow to go up and down, I guess many years of use has worn the regulator unit, so it’s still stiff even with a new cable. When the passenger window failed, I replaced the regulator unit, was not too expensive and the window works much better than the driver side window. So to answer your question, you cannot buy a cable from Ford, but you can make a cable fit, I would recommend replacing the regulator as the cable is not the only part broken or worn. Hope that helps.

Mmart

Reaction score
As stated above the other components of the regulator are probably aging and wearing at the same rate as the cable. I had a 2010 and had to replace both the passenger and driver’s side regulators over the 7 years I had the truck. Drivers side unit was about $135. If I put the rod for the door lock in correctly the 1st time the whole job would’ve taken me less than an hour, but I had to re-pop the panel to fix my mistake.

Steve Hartman

Reaction score
I've changed two on the driver's side over 8 years.... And I'm old and feeble! LOL! It's a piece o'cake! Go for the new regular. Being on a fixed income, I had to go with E-Bay aftermarket. The first one lasted 40,000 miles, and the second, 30,000. :D