Dumb mistake 07 Expedition Completely dead

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nightsun

Reaction score
I made a silly mistake yesterday when trying to charge my brothers atv battery. I crossed the pos and neg cables on the atv battery. The truck was running when this happened and it took me about 5-10 seconds before realizing what I did. Truck stayed running so I switched the cables back and continued to charge the atv battery. Once charged I turned off the truck. When I went to turn it on again it was completely dead no clicks, nothing at all. Dash lights are acting funny as well. I did notice a few fuses were blown but other than that what should I look for? I ordered a complete under hood fuse panel assembly today. I should mention that the truck is 150 miles away at my brothers ranch. Other than tools, spare fuses and relays what should I concentrate on? I really need to get this thing back on the road asap. Thanks in advance for any help.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Check the battery first, you may have killed it. By crossing the cables you completed a circuit allowing the batteries to "short" each other.

Try charging the battery at a low charge and disconnected from the expy. Read the voltage when finished, load test if possible.

What are the interior lights doing acting funny?

Last edited:
OP
OP
N

Nightsun

Reaction score
Thank you. I should have mentioned we tried multiple times to charge the battery. First we used a generator, then my friends tundra. Nothing. I will also say that all the lights in the cab still work, windows go up and down etc... Furthermore,
I got under the truck and manually hit the starter soilinoid with a screwdriver and it turned the motor over normally but of course it will not start. I'm guessing the battery still has some power. I do still believe the battery may be no good tho. I'm taking a good battery with me on Thursday which is the next chance I can get away to get out there. Regarding the dash lights, all the warning lights are illuminated when the key is cranking, check engine, air bags etc... Also the digital read out goes thru all its parameters in sequence.
One last detail, when turning the key all the way I hear a clicking sound coming from the 5 pin relay on the fuse panel on the pass side panel. I'm picking one up today along with misc fuses and a fuse tester. I'm worried the ecu may have been damaged. Thanks again.

OP
OP
N

Nightsun

Reaction score
I think I have most of what I need to go back out there to try to get it started. I have a complete under hood fuse panel coming in, multiple smaller fuses and tester for interior panel and a replacement 5 pin relay for the interior panel as well. I'm also taking a good battery and volt meter. Can any one suggest anything else? Is there a fuse inline on the positive battery terminal? Thanks

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Probably has fuseable links stashed in a tight spot. I'll take a look at the starting circuit later tonight and let you know.
Working on my wifes ride at the moment. Trying to get the lower control arm out before it starts raining.

tonydiv

technical advisor
Reaction score
As much as I hate to say it, you could have killed the ecu.
Also hook the battery up to a real live battery charger and see what it reads.

OP
OP
N

Nightsun

Reaction score
Thanks for the help guys. Didn't get a chance to go out there until yesterday. Changed a few fuses in the under hood panel and the interior and no change. I'm not sure what what else to look for. As I mentioned the starter turned the motor over with a screwdriver. Would the Ecu be bad if all the interior lights, radio, remote door locks, windows Etc still work? If I change the ecu does it need programming before I swap it out? Also will this affect the chipped key? This is a nightmare.

OP
OP
N

Nightsun

Reaction score
If you have a code reader try connecting to the pcm and see if it will communicate with it.

Good call. I'll take one next time I go up there which will be mid next week. I did bring the battery home to get it checked out.