DVD Player

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

G

Can anyone suggest a good overhead built in DVD Player for my expedition. I want at least a 9" screen, if not bigger. Also, any idea on the cost.
If they put it in the overhead space, as they do from the factory, can they connect it directly to my Audiophile Stereo System?
Thanks,

Todd

OP
OP
G

Here is a great Idea! I did this in my Trooper and will do it in my new X. I built a small roof mount console out of fiberglass -gelcoat to match interrior-grey in my case.(a lot easier than you might think). I can now simply slide my Dell laptop w/dvd in the console-upside down,meaning the top of the laptop is faceing the floor when closed, connect two hidden wires (one for audio/one for power). Now all I have to do is pull the Laptop Lcd open and play DVD's on a 14.1" Screen! Kids also get video games and to surf the net via wireless keyboard and cell modem! I know, I know when you open the screen with the laptop in this orientation the diplay will be upside down. Easily fixed with a little program called "Pivot" you can set it up to make your display rotate up to 180 degrees. A lot more features than standard dvd/lcd setup and a lot less expensive, as long as you already own a laptop with DVD.

Blair

corvettej

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes, it connects to your exiting system with an fm modulator or you can use the wireless headphones or both.

BADSBRD

Reaction score
Blair:

Do you have any pics of how this looked? That is a great idea. I've actually got a couple of laptops, and might leave one mounted in there full-time.

How has everyone tackled the overhead heater vents? Have they been in the way when mounting overhead DVDs?

Rick

1999xlt

Reaction score
I went with the overhead console and 2 audiovox monitors.
1-6.4" 1-6.8". I personally think anything bigger would be a strain to look at since it is so close. Also put in 2 seatback monitors.

OP
OP
G

BLAIR

When did you get this PIVOT Software. I do a GOOGLE search and all I can find are laptops with pivot screens, but nothing about software than can rotation a DVD movie image.

Sounds like a great idea, but can't seem to locate any kind of software out there that can rotation the image 180 degrees

OP
OP
G

Just registered. Esteves, portrait.com is the developer of the PIVOT software... Came with my (PC) LCD monitor, works great.

OP
OP
G

Hello. Last year I added a DVD (under the front passenger seat, VHS (In center console next to CD changer) with a custom 10.4" overhead flip down (integrated in with my current overhead console. As well as a visor mounted LCD monitor in the passenger visor. Ordered it online, and had a local shop custom install it. You can spend whatever $$ you want to put into it. Online is tax free and less markup. You'll have a better variety. Make sure you get a screen that is TFT and has good viewing angles from the side (otherwise if you're not directly in front of it you won't be able to see).

Here's a site I purchased from:
http://www.mobilevideo4less.com/

Great guys, and you can call them up for any questions. They have a custom mount for overheads which looks just like its part of the original factory console. It's a great investment... I have kids, and long trips are a breeze!

Hope it helps!