Ecoboost Idle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

J Ski

3.5plati
Reaction score
Does the black engine cover pop-off, or are there one or more screws holding it on? Thank you.
Remove the oil cap and Lift up on the front left and right edges of the engine cover and it will pop off. There is a hinge at the rear of the cover that pops into two clips mounted to the manifold that you will see where the cover will fit back into. No screws

deweysmith

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 2015 Expediton Limitd 4x4, purchased new, now with 37,*** miles.

I'm in the Midwest and we've had sub-zero temperatures. I have also noticed a rough idle after a cold start. After several moments, the idle smooths out. I replaced the air filter with a Motorcraft one at 15,000 and 30,000 miles.

How hard is it to changed the spark plugs? I use Top Tier fuel almost exclusively. Thank you.
Plugs at 37,000 miles would be craziness.

Personally, I don’t think a rough idle in crazy cold that leaves after even 15 seconds is anything to worry about. Do you have a block heater? I have this problem in Canada and if I use my block heater it goes away.

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 2015 Expediton Limitd 4x4, purchased new, now with 37,*** miles.

I'm in the Midwest and we've had sub-zero temperatures. I have also noticed a rough idle after a cold start. After several moments, the idle smooths out. I replaced the air filter with a Motorcraft one at 15,000 and 30,000 miles.

How hard is it to changed the spark plugs? I use Top Tier fuel almost exclusively. Thank you.

It sounds like your engine is running rich at startup. I wouldn't be concerned, based on the issue clearing in a few seconds. Back in the good old days, we had a manual choke to use when the engine was cold to do just that.

Man, I'm old.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Personally, I don’t think a rough idle in crazy cold that leaves after even 15 seconds is anything to worry about. Do you have a block heater? I have this problem in Canada and if I use my block heater it goes away.

I do not have a block heater. When I ordered my 2015 Expediton Limited, the salesman said Ford would only permit a block heater to be ordered on fleeet sales - not an individual customer order. The same rules were for the daytime running lights feature also.

I have the block heater on other vehicles - GM lets the customer order the feature as a separate option.

NASCAR Mike

Full Access Members
Reaction score
View attachment 23411 View attachment 23412
Before and after of MAP sensor on intake manifold after only 22k miles. Will be cleaning this one every oil change from here on out. Will check plugs at 30k

Looks like you need to add an oil catch can. It will capture all of that oil blowby so it wont contaminate your sensors or spark plugs. A few weeks ago I posted how much oil came out of my catch can when I changed the oil for the first time at 2,000 miles. It was at least 3 ounces of oil. I can only imagine how much oil will be collected when I hit 7,000 miles.

J Ski

3.5plati
Reaction score
Looks like you need to add an oil catch can. It will capture all of that oil blowby so it wont contaminate your sensors or spark plugs. A few weeks ago I posted how much oil came out of my catch can when I changed the oil for the first time at 2,000 miles. It was at least 3 ounces of oil. I can only imagine how much oil will be collected when I hit 7,000 miles.
Yeah I’ll be getting a jlt performance one here soon. For now, I’m satisfied knowing it’s much cleaner than before

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Wanted to share some info. 17 Limited with 20k. Has been cold as he*l here in PA lately and I started to notice a rough idle on cold start. I could feel it in the steering wheel and “see” it when I looked the engine, wife says she didn’t notice anything. So I thought maybe I was over thinking things, but me being me, new plugs (motorcraft 534, gap 30) and new coil boots. Plugs looked ok, little carboned up, not awful, gaps between 32 and 36. No change in idle. Then did a PCM reset and went through the idle relearn process, cleaned all 3 sensors, air temp, boost before throttle body, intake pressure (this one was a little oily), also filled up with a fresh tank of 91( top tier). Idled much better. So not sure if it was plugs, the relearn, the gas, map sensor, or a combo of all four. Just wanted to pass it along. Also if you are an over maintenance guy, I recommmed plugs maybe every 30 after seeing these at 20. Also plan on hitting the intake pressure sensor every oil change from now on. Cheers

I'm a little confused as I also own a 17 lmtd.....mine has 31K on it however considering that if you have a 17, it's still under a bumper to bumper warranty, why on earth would you spend hundreds of dollars for a rough idle that most likely caused by the restrictive AF housing size....as evidenced by the round pattern of dirt on the stock filter when I changed it.

Why not have Ford be responsible for your truck running as they promised you that it would?

jeff

theoldwizard1

Full Access Members
Reaction score
As a retired Ford Powertrain Engineer I would concur ! Cleaning the sensors probably helped more than anything.

Starting sometime in the past 5-10 years, EPA/CARB has required that certain diagnostic data be stored in "true keep alive" memory. It can not be erased, only overwritten by the processor.

OP
OP
C

Casflynn

Reaction score
As I do agree with the idea of “ let ford figure it out”, I will say this, I work at a dealer, not a ford one, but we do have a sister store that is ford. From talking with service manager down there, no CEL, no open tsb, equals not much they can do. They would probably run some stuff on the IDS and clean some sensors for me, but it’s an hour away for me to take it down. I’m ok doing my own work, and I don’t think the idle I felt would have been classified as out of the norm, I just didn’t like it. I’ll post some pictures of the plugs when I get home tonight. I also like the idea of a catch can, just not totally sold on if it prevents valve coking or not, again this sister store on mine has been around since 1915 and sells over 50 f-150s a month, they have never done a head on a eco boost, so who knows, if the catch can prevents the map sensor from getting dirty, then that might be worth it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
r98exp1