Eddie Bauer vs. NBX

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

badtzki

Reaction score
What is the difference between a Eddie Bauer and a NBX? :reddevil:

Rfreels

Reaction score
The NBX comes only as a 4x4 with 17” wheels, skid plates, and specially tuned off-road shocks. The Eddie Bauer model is one of the more popular choices with buyers. It is equipped with dual-zone climate, power adjustable pedals, and heated side mirrors to name a few. The head honcho is the Limited model and it comes with 10-way power adjustable front seats that can be heated or cooled. All mirrors, handles, and side-cladding are also the same color as the rest of the body. Expect MSRP pricing to start around $33,000 and top out above $42,000.

OP
OP
B

badtzki

Reaction score
Rfreels:

Thanks for your response. From your description, one could assume that the NBX is a better performer off-road than the Eddie Bauer. The latter is more "plush" with the added options. Is this correct?

smo0othride

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Originally posted by badtzki
Rfreels:

Thanks for your response. From your description, one could assume that the NBX is a better performer off-road than the Eddie Bauer. The latter is more "plush" with the added options. Is this correct?

The NBX is designed to be better equipped for offroading, and the EB is the luxury model that comes with different trim and has many more interior features standard.

Keydo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You can get the Eddie Bauer and add the skid plate, fuel tank shield and transmission shield. You could either upgrade the shocks right away and wait 50000 miles later and upgrade then.

I added the skid plate, fuel tank and transmission shield.

Haven't gotten around to replacing the shocks since I don't do much off roading.

green03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
do you have prices and part numbers for the skid plates for the 03 and up expeds? I was going to make a gas tank shield for mine, but my time is worth more than it used to be so I will just buy one if it is cheap enough. I don't know what they were thinking having that plastic gas tank exposed like that on a 4x4......
Matt

Keydo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The front skid plate is the easiest part to put on. It's been awhile and I don't remember the part numbers, but a parts dealer should know the part number and the associated bolts you'll need.

The transmission shield is easy to do as well, a one piece shield and the associated bolts, nuts and washers. The tricky part is that you should do this last.

The tough one will be the fuel tank shield. This is the only piece that is not metal, it's a thick piece of ABS plastic (I'm guessing it's ABS plastic). Here, you'll need to purchase not only the fuel tank shield, but two new fuel tank bracket carriers (and the associated nuts and washers).

The stock fuel tank carriers on the EB will not have the two bolts protruding from the brackets where you mount the plastic fuel tank shield.

So, you need to remove the two fuel tank brackets and replace them with the fuel tank brackets with the protruding bolts. Easier said than done.

When I tried to remove the stock fuel tank brackets, you can't remove the stock brackets without dropping the drive shaft - at least, that's what I discovered.

This is why you don't want to put the transmission shield on because you'd have to remove it in order to drop the drive shaft.

Also, if you're thinking of doing the driveshaft by yourself - I found it difficult and gave up. I just couldn't get enough leverage underneath the truck.

What I ended up doing was during the last service under warranty, I handed the fuel tank brackets with the protruding bolts to the service tech and told them to replace the fuel tank brackets with these. They obliged.

After that, it was easier to put on the fuel tank shield and the transmission shield.

At least, that was my adventure adding those pieces.

Last edited: