Either a coil or plug any ideas?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Thermo

technical advisor
Reaction score
Soldier, I would first recommend doing a visual inspection of the top of each of your COPs. If you look at them, you will see a clear top to them. If you see a white line in any of them (the white line means there is a crack in the epoxy top), you are getting a little bit of water inside the coil and it is affecting the amount of spark, leading to the misfire. I would first check 3 COPs though as they are the most likely suspects (in order of most likely to fail): #4, #3, #7. The two on the passenger side are tucked in a low air flow area and they tend to get really hot, which will lead to their failure. #7 (driver's side) is right under the EGR piping. ANother one that sees a lot of heat.

After that, odds are you are looking at having to pull each COP and seeing if the rubber boot is in good condition and not shorting through the boot to the wall of the plug tube. I have heard that roughly have of the "bad COPs" were attributed to bad rubber boots. If you talk with your local auto parts store, you can buy just the boots.

OP
OP
S

Soldier777

Full Access Members
Reaction score
thanks everyone i am diving in to this on friday night. I am replacing my calipers and pads so I might as well solve this annoying little problem as well. I will let you know what I find out

OP
OP
S

Soldier777

Full Access Members
Reaction score
ok update.. I finally threw a code and it came up o2 sensor bank 1 sensor 2. I will be trying to fix this soon, I just would of never thought it would be that. I truly believed it was a plug. Just out of curiosity could my strait pipes be the culprit of this? Can i just disconnect the battery to see if it will "reset"?

Thermo I did look over all the coils and none of them had what you described.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
r98exp1