Electrical Issues, 2003 XLT

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

golfman7621

Reaction score
About a year ago I was having trouble with my '03 expedition having a dead battery in the mornings after having been driven the day before. The battery was less than a year old...testing revealed that the positive terminal was loose. I got that taken care of...now a year later, it's happening again, only the terminal is not loose. The darn thing only does it on weekday mornings too and my wife is getting irritated with getting the kids to school late and getting to work late!

Took it down to Auto Zone tonight and they tested the battery...it's good. Then they tested the alternator, it read 45 amps and the tester said it's also good. My question is, what should the amp output be for this vehicle sitting at idle? I didn't turn everything off. The heat and radio as well as internal lights were on, although the doors were closed during the test so the interior lights were off. The headlights were on though as it was dark at the time of the test. Also, the GPS and radar detector were plugged in and running during the test.

Tomorrow morning when it's light outside, i will check the cables coming from the alternator to the battery / chassis / ground and see that everything there is tight. My real question is about the amp output though. Any help is appreciated!

Rob

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wiscoford