Electrical issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

robbieg

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yesterday I noticed the door adjar light going on and off with the interior lights while driving. I got home and cleaned all the door latches too no avail. I then hooked up the laptop and it said that it was the rear liftgate. I pulled the trim panel and cleaned the latch and switch again but still no help. I then disconnected the switch connector and the lights still stayed on. I took it for a little drive and I noticed that when I hit the bake pedal the door adjar light and the dome lights go off but as soon as I let go of the brake the door adjar light comes back on with the warning chime and the dome lights come back on. I also noticed that the LEFT turn signal makes the warning chime go nuts but the right signal is fine. Also the rear wiper dose not work when the door adjar light is on but if I hit the brake pedal making the door adjar light go out the wiper works. Does this sound like a GEM problem or something else?

Thermo

technical advisor
Reaction score
it is sounding more like a multifunction stalk issue. That may be causing all that you are seeing. It may be another issue, but I am pretty sure part of you problem is the multi-function stalk.

OP
OP
robbieg

robbieg

Full Access Members
Reaction score
it is sounding more like a multifunction stalk issue. That may be causing all that you are seeing. It may be another issue, but I am pretty sure part of you problem is the multi-function stalk.
Thanks Thermo I appreciate the info, I replaced the stalk several years ago but it may be time for another. I knew that the stalk had the turn and brake lights running through it but does the dome light/door ajar circuits go through it too?

Thermo

technical advisor
Reaction score
Robbie, no, the dome lights do not go through it, but at the same time, if the stalk is back feeding power some how (affecting a lot of other things), it may be getting to the dome light some how.

Your year truck, the turn signals and whatnot have nothing to do with the GEM module. That is why this is interesting. I would say just to make sure, check the floor at the driver's feet to see if it is wet. If you notice that this is much worse after it rains or you wash the truck, then I would be looking at the GEM module. Granted, need to be looking at fixing the windshield first.

OP
OP
robbieg

robbieg

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Robbie, no, the dome lights do not go through it, but at the same time, if the stalk is back feeding power some how (affecting a lot of other things), it may be getting to the dome light some how.

Your year truck, the turn signals and whatnot have nothing to do with the GEM module. That is why this is interesting. I would say just to make sure, check the floor at the driver's feet to see if it is wet. If you notice that this is much worse after it rains or you wash the truck, then I would be looking at the GEM module. Granted, need to be looking at fixing the windshield first.

I actually had the windshield replaced about 8 months ago because of a water leak. Everything went nuts, blower, relay, etc. I pulled the fuse block and GEM back then and dried everything good. Everything had been working fine up until yesterday. When the new issues started yesterday I checked for water and felt up in the dash but everything was dry.

Tacsat117

Reaction score
Robbeig,

Sorry to high jack your thread but I'm curious about your "I Hooked up my laptop" comment. What is required to do that? Can you do it with a Mac? Do you have a pin out for the cable? I got a '99 Eddie Bauer yesterday and it threw a check engine light on the way to sign over the title. The guy had just reterminated the battery connection so I figured it was related to disconnecting the battery. It had no light during previous test drives and seems to run great.

OP
OP
robbieg

robbieg

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Robbeig,

Sorry to high jack your thread but I'm curious about your "I Hooked up my laptop" comment. What is required to do that? Can you do it with a Mac? Do you have a pin out for the cable? I got a '99 Eddie Bauer yesterday and it threw a check engine light on the way to sign over the title. The guy had just reterminated the battery connection so I figured it was related to disconnecting the battery. It had no light during previous test drives and seems to run great.

THIS is what I use. You have to get the software and the cable. It's about as close as you can get to what the dealer /Ford uses without spending $1000's.

Thermo

technical advisor
Reaction score
Tacsat117, look on Ebay. There are tons of units that allow you to connect a OBD-II reader to the truck and then via a USB port, connect it to your laptop. As for which one will work with your Apple laptop, you would have to read the description and see if they include the Apple software.

Another option is if you have a Bluetooth port on your laptop or on your cell phone, they also make Bluetooth code readers that you would then plug into your truck. From there, you install some software on your phone and you read everything through your phone. You can get real time data displays using either method.

OP
OP
robbieg

robbieg

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I forgot to mention I do use a Mac but I run windows via bootcamp to run this software. The software itself is for a PC, not a Mac.