Engine Failsafe no check engine light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DeadExpy

Reaction score
Have been trying to find what others have gone through, but I think my situation may be a little more expensive at this point. Have a 2006 XLT with around 150K on it.

Have a long history of rough idle and dying at idle. Had a fuel issue and the fuel pump module was corroded. Changed that no problem and no more fuel issues. Started dying after running for longer periods of time at idle. Changed the ETB control unit and worked fine for about 2 days then it started dying again. This time I got P0345, P0349, P0022. Got it home and checked the connectors and made sure I had no shorts. That's the extent of what I did since I do not have a book or wire diagrams to go more in depth.

Hooked everything back up and now I am in Engine Failsafe mode. Cleaned throttle body and changed TPS cause it felt like it was broken internally still no change. I am not getting a light, but it is kicking P2104 and P2111. I have zero pedal input and idle is around 1K and very rough. Throttle body is not stuck open it is definitely being driven closed and the ETC% says 43.2. I tried to do the memory reset after I changed TPS and it's still in failsafe.

I am hoping my PCM isn't fried and I can't even limp it anywhere to get it looked at.

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
P0345 - Camshaft Position Sensor A Circuit (Bank 2)
Description: The test fails when the powertrain control module (PCM) can no longer detect the signal from the camshaft position (CMP) sensor on bank 2.
Possible Causes: See the possible causes for DTC P0340.
Diagnostic Aids: See the diagnostic aids for DTC P0340.

P0349 - Camshaft Position Sensor A Circuit Intermittent (Bank 2)
Description: See the description for DTC P0344.
Possible Causes: See the possible causes for DTC P0344.
Diagnostic Aids: See the diagnostic aids for DTC P0344.

P0340 - Camshaft Position Sensor A Circuit (Bank 1 or single sensor)
Description: The test fails when the powertrain control module (PCM) can no longer detect the signal from the camshaft position (CMP) sensor on bank 1.
Possible Causes:
  • CMP circuit open
  • CMP circuit short to GND
  • CMP circuit short to voltage
  • SIG RTN open (VR sensor)
  • CMP GND open (Hall-effect sensor)
  • CMP circuit short to CMP2 circuit (if equipped)
  • CMP incorrectly installed (Hall-effect sensor)
  • Damaged CMP sensor shielding
  • Damaged CMP sensor
  • Damaged PCM
Diagnostic Aids: Harness routing, harness alterations, improper shielding, or electrical interference from other improperly functioning systems may have an intermittent impact on the CMP signal.

P0344 - Camshaft Position Sensor A Circuit Intermittent (Bank 1 or single sensor)
Description: The test fails when the powertrain control module (PCM) detects an intermittent signal from the camshaft position (CMP) sensor.
Possible Causes:
  • Intermittent open circuit
  • Intermittent short circuit
  • Damaged sensor shielding
  • Damaged sensor
Diagnostic Aids: Harness routing, harness alterations, improper shielding, or electrical interference from other improperly functioning systems may have an intermittent impact on the CMP signal.

P0022 - Intake Camshaft Position Timing - Over-Retarded (Bank 2)
Description: See the description for DTC P0012.
Possible Causes: See the possible causes for DTC P0012.
Diagnostic Aids: See the diagnostic aids for DTC P0012.

P0012 - Intake Camshaft Position Timing - Over-Retarded (Bank 1)
Description: The powertrain control module (PCM) monitors the variable camshaft timing (VCT) position for over-retarded camshaft timing. The test fails when the camshaft timing exceeds a maximum calibrated value or remains in a retarded position.
Possible Causes:
  • Camshaft timing improperly set
  • Continuous oil flow to the VCT piston chamber
  • VCT solenoid valve stuck open
  • Camshaft advance mechanism binding (VCT unit)
Diagnostic Aids: This DTC is a functional check of the VCT unit. Diagnose any base engine concerns related to the engine oil pressure or engine timing. Refer to the Workshop Manual Section 303-00, Engine System.

All the above was copied from the 06 service manual

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
P2104 - Throttle Actuator Control (TAC) System - Forced Idle
Description: The TAC system is in the failure mode effects management (FMEM) mode of forced idle.
Possible Causes:
  • Open or short in multiple accelerator pedal position (APP) sensor circuits
  • Damaged APP sensor
  • Damaged powertrain control module (PCM)
Diagnostic Aids: This DTC is an informational DTC and can be set in combination with a number of other DTCs which are causing the FMEM. Diagnose other DTCs first.

P2111 - Throttle Actuator Control (TAC) System - Stuck Open
Description: This powertrain control module (PCM) fault status indicates the throttle plate is at a greater angle than commanded.
Possible Causes:
  • Binding throttle body, stuck open
  • TAC motor circuits are cross-wired
  • TAC motor harness circuits are shorted together
  • Damaged PCM
Solve all other DTCs first. before the above two

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PaulMedik