Engine Hesitates

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WHITEDEVIL

Reaction score
I HAVE A 1997 EXPEDITION . THE THING RUNS EXCELLENT 99 % OF THE TIME .THE TROUBLE BEGINS WHEN I FIRST TRAVEL . AFTER DRIVING LESS THAN A MILE , THE MOTOR HESITATES WHEN I HAVE TO STOP AND GO . IT ONLY DOES IT ONCE . AFTER THE ONE TIME IT NEVER DOES IT AGAIN . I TRIED TO RUN HIGH TEST GAS IN IT . I ALSO PUT SOME FUEL INJECTOR CLEANER IN ALSO .

I EVEN TURNED OFF THE OVERDRIVE ON THE HIGHWAY AND TRAVEL AT 70 TO FLUSH OUT THE INJECTORS .

ANY HELP OUT THERE . IT IS A MINOR PROBLEM BUT ANNOYING .

monsta

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Tracking something as intermittent as that would proboably more hassle than it is worth.

Sounds like it could be a quick electrical pull as a sensor comes up to temp or something like that.

If it only does it once see it idling your engine up to operating temp before you take off prevents it.

If not, it could be a transmission thing. It has a differnet logic map when the fluid is still cold.

BTW... driving 70mph in direct drive (3rd) gear will not "flush your injectors". Your RPM is higher before it shifts to 2nd than it is when you're on the highway.

Save your gas, keep the OD on. :)

OP
OP
W

WHITEDEVIL

Reaction score
THANKS MONSTA ,

I JUST BOUGHT THE EXPEDITION . SO I DID HAVE THE TRANSMISSION POWER FLUSHED AND THE OIL DRAINED . I CAN FEEL AN IMPROVMENT IN THE TRANSMISSION . HOWEVER , I AM STILL HAVE A PROBLEM WITH THE ROUGH IDIOLING . IT DOES NOT DO IT OFTEN .

IF I DO NOT LET THE ENGINE WARM UP FOR 3 MINUTES OR SO , IT WILL ALMOST STALL AT LIGHTS . IT WILL EVEN DO THIS AFTER TRAVELING A COUPLE MILES AND STOPPING AT A PIZZIA SHOP FOR 5 MINUTES .

AT LIGHTS , IT HAS A STEADY RPM FOR 2 MINUTES AND THEN IT WILL FEEL LIKE IT IS GOING TO STALL . THE EXPEDITION RUNS EXCELLENT ON THE HIGHWAYS AND ONCE IT GETS GOING . I AM THINKING THE FUEL INJECTORS NEEDS CLEANING . I DID TRY THE HIGH TEST GAS . THAT DID NOT REALLY IMPROVE THINGS . I AM THINKING ABOUT TRYING SOME FUEL INJECTOR CLEANER .

ANY OTHER IDEAS OUT THERE . THE PROBLEM IS NOT A HUGE DEAL BUT A HAVE A 13 MONTH YEAR OLD DAUGHTER . I JUST WANT TO HAVE A RELIABLE SUV FOR HER .

rachase70

Reaction score
Have a 98 expy. Had problems with rough idling and a skip at around 1700 rpms. Things got worse and it would stall at every stop. Brought it to the dealer cause check engine would come on all the time and of course got the EVAP code. After further review from the dealer it was determined that the vaccum harness had cracks and leaks. $270 later... runs like a brand new vehicle. Might be worth a check to ya.

Rick