Engine not cranking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EXPI2000

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So I went out to truck today and put key in and turned it on. All lights come on inside the truck and on the dash like normal but when I go to start it nothing happens. First thing I did was pulled gear shifter to neutral and tried but got same result. So I p ut it back in park and made sure it was fully in park and tried starting again with same result. So I moved onto fuses and relays which all tested good. So finally climbed under truck which I didnt want to do since its been raining all day but oh well. Tried jumping starter with screwdriver to see if itwould crank and it made lots of sparks but no cranking. From what I can tell from the condition of stsrter it is original. It is a 2000. But before I run out tomorrow and replace the starter I wanted to check with the good folks here to see if they have had something similar or feel im on the right track????

Thanks in advance for any advice.

1997SCEBFEX

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sir, Any chance you wiggled your battery cables? Sometimes there's just enough corrosion, or other things causing a bad connection.

OP
OP
EXPI2000

EXPI2000

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah I rechecked those connections also. I just changed the connectors last week.

Thermo

technical advisor
Reaction score
EXPI, I would first start with opening your driver's door to get the overhead light on. Now, with the door still open, does the light dim slightly, remain at its normal brightness or go completely out? If the light remains at full brightness, your starter is not getting any power. If it goes out completely, you have a power issue most likely. If it dims, you should be hearing the starter click.

With this being said, open the hood of your truck and connect a multimeter across the battery. You should get 12.6 VDC with the truck off. Now, position the multimeter so you can see it as the truck is attempted to be started (use of a second person may be handy). Did the voltage drop to less than 11.0? If yes, then you have a bad battery, get a new battery and start over. If it remained at 12.6 VDC, then you are not getting power to your starter. If it went to 11.0 to 12.0, then your starter is getting power, but something is restricting the current (bad cables or bad starter solenoid).

If you are suspecting a bad starter solenoid or starter, try this: remove the cover just to the right of the battery to expose the starter solenoid (not the piece on the starter, that is only a coil to engage the lever to engage a gear). If you look you will see 2 large posts and a smaller post below. Take a large screw driver or similar piece and touch both of the large posts at the same time (this should case a decent amount of sparks, so, don't be too shocked). If the motor turns over in this case, then you have either a bad starter solenoid or the control circuit to the starter solenoid is toast. You can repeat this check by going to the large post nearest the battery and to the small post. If the motor turns over now, your problem lies in the dash (either ignition switch, PATS module, or associated wiring). If the truck doesn't turn over going to the small post, then your starter solenoid is toast. Replace.

If when you shorted the two large posts together you got very little spark (or no spark at all), then your problem lies in the cable going to the starter or the starter itself. The easiest check is to hold a multimeter to the large post on the starter as someone else tries to crank the engine over. If you are getting over 10 VDC, the starter is toast. If you are getting under 10 VDC, the cable is bad.

This should get you fixed up. IF you have further questions, just ask.

OP
OP
EXPI2000

EXPI2000

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well after pulling starter out of truck in the rain I noticed the big ground wire that runs from solenoid on the starter to the inside of starter was broke in half. So put new starter in and everything works as should. Thanks for the advice. I wonder if Ford could have found a more inconvenient spot to place that thing. Suggest to anyone that pulls one to invest in a short handled ratchet. I used my big one and it is hard to get much cranking on it.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zeroday