Engine Rattle/Knock

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

01yellerCobra

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Usually it's the phasers that cause the noise. IMO, you should replace all the parts at once. We ordered the kit from Ford that includes guides and tensioners. When we pulled the timing cover off we found one of the guides had broken. So I was glad I ordered the kit.

wadesdad

Reaction score
Once you fix it PLEASE STOP USING MOBIL 1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The crap they sell at the store is NOT the same as the racing oil. Lots of Chevy LS engines have catastrophic failures with it. Look on Bob the Oil Guy forums. WalMart Motorcraft oil is inexpensive and OEM.

OP
OP
B

bricekin

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Once you fix it PLEASE STOP USING MOBIL 1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The crap they sell at the store is NOT the same as the racing oil. Lots of Chevy LS engines have catastrophic failures with it. Look on Bob the Oil Guy forums. WalMart Motorcraft oil is inexpensive and OEM.

Thanks for the advice but I don't run Mobil1 because of its of its exposure in the racing world. I'm also familiar with Bob the oil guy. I've run Amsoil, Royal Purple, and a handful of other oils. I run Mobil1 because it is the best oil I've used over the course of the last 7 years. My 227k mile A4 has run its last 120k on Mobil1. My last Super Duty ran amazing on Mobil1. If I wanted a crap LS motor, I'd have bought a Chevy.

emtmark

Reaction score
Best deals I've found are ar Costco when it's in sale, 24.95/ 6qts.

GaryH2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've also run Mobil 1 in my fleet with no issues (and had the oil tested). Going on 150k in the Expy and due for another test.

Tough to change brands based on hearsay when independent tests don't back making a change.

Attachments

• oilreports.pdf
    54.9 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:

fiveohpoepoe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chiming in here on the cam phasers...I have a '10 EL and noticed it. Did a little research and took it to the dealership. They claimed Ford issued a bulletin claiming it is a known issue and do NOT attempt to repair it....it does NOT affect the drive-ability of the vehicle. I was given a generic print out so I contacted FMC. The replies I received stated they were not aware..
"I understand that you would like to confirm that your current vehicle concern is a known issue.
I have verified from our resources that we do not have any Recalls indicating that your concern is a known issue. I have also checked that there are no factory warranties, recalls or programs in effect on your vehicle that would provide assistance for your current concern. I suggest that you keep your repair receipts in case Ford initiates a recall or Customer Satisfaction Program in the future".
Anyone has anything on the positive side?