Engine Replacement On 2015 EL

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
No autocorrect.
www.car-part.com is a nationwide salvage yard parts search.
Very good resource. Just takes so searching not always easiest to find what you are looking for.
I used car-part.com to find two engines recently for two friends who needed a replacement.
I'm in Ohio and one friend was in Florida. We found an excellent low mileage 4.6 for his Town Car 20 minutes from his house for $460.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I used car-part.com to find two engines recently for two friends who needed a replacement.
I'm in Ohio and one friend was in Florida. We found an excellent low mileage 4.6 for his Town Car 20 minutes from his house for $460.

Ford naturally aspirated V8s are plentiful and cost pennies used

Ecoboost V6 TT's are expensive and rare

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ford naturally aspirated V8s are plentiful and cost pennies used

Ecoboost V6 TT's are expensive and rare

For now....

I would assume there are some available from 1200 to $2,000.
Still less than a third of what it would cost to take it to a shop and get hammered for their 6,000 to 8,000 engine replacement.

I just checked it looks like a good number of available from 2500 to 3500. There are a few cheaper and a good number and the 3700 to 4100 range.

They will continue to drop in price as more more hit the salvage yards from wrecked l vehicles.

Last edited:

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
For now....

I would assume there are some available from 1200 to $2,000.
Still less than a third of what it would cost to take it to a shop and get hammered for their 6,000 to 8,000 engine replacement.

I just checked it looks like a good number of available from 2500 to 3500. There are a few cheaper and a good number and the 3700 to 4100 range.

They will continue to drop in price as more more hit the salvage yards from wrecked l vehicles.
And as they get older. I'm surprised they get that much, it's not like to old days when you could buy a Chevy v-8 for a couple hundred bucks.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
And as they get older. I'm surprised they get that much, it's not like to old days when you could buy a Chevy v-8 for a couple hundred bucks.

Its not the same dollar, so when you can buy a Ford V8 for like a grand, that's pretty much the same

Reason the 3.5TT is different is that the 6 cylinder twin turbo ecobeast follows a modern, overcomplicated European design philosophy. It's pretty much an example of "what would a Ford truck engine look like if it was designed at BMW". It sacrifices simplicity, reliability, and serviceability for an extra bit of horsepower and MPG.

And it's not something you can service in the driveway with your dad/son/cousin over a couple beers.

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
Its not the same dollar, so when you can buy a Ford V8 for like a grand, that's pretty much the same

Reason the 3.5TT is different is that the 6 cylinder twin turbo ecobeast follows a modern, overcomplicated European design philosophy. It's pretty much an example of "what would a Ford truck engine look like if it was designed at BMW". It sacrifices simplicity, reliability, and serviceability for an extra bit of horsepower and MPG.

And it's not something you can service in the driveway with your dad/son/cousin over a couple beers.
Scotty Kilmer posted a couple of videos of a ecoboost explorer. He fixed it in the driveway. 65,000mi and burning 3.5 quarts of oil, worn plugs and 2 previous turbo replacements. He summed it up with, you don't put a small engine in a big SUV...by the way VVT, variable valve timing is a Ford innovation, that everyone copied. European cars are taxed by the size of the engine. That's why they usually come with a smaller displacement. BMW uses a inline old school 6(slant or 30 degree mount), that would be better for a truck engine. Just about every Semi, uses a inline 6.

Last edited:

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Scotty Kilmer posted a couple of videos of a ecoboost explorer. He fixed it in the driveway. 65,000mi and burning 3.5 quarts of oil, worn plugs and 2 previous turbo replacements. He summed it up with, you don't put a small engine in a big SUV...by the way VVT, variable valve timing is a Ford innovation, that everyone copied. European cars are taxed by the size of the engine. That's why they usually come with a smaller displacement. BMW uses a inline old school 6, that would be better for a truck engine. Just about every Semi, uses a inline 6.

Give that guy a cameraman with a cellphone and a handle of rotgut, and he'll happily bluster through an instructible on how to fix a nuclear reactor in your driveway

As to the BMW thing, yeah bimmers are inline vs Ecoboost being V6, but trust me all the stuff with ecoboost people talk about is very familiar to anyone who's had a bimmer *35 i/d engine (which are actually 2996 cc, but that's beside the point). Tight, hot as hell, twin turbo, CBU issues, gazillion electronic sensors... all familiar territory

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score

That's what they say about every new generation of vehicles and engines but it doesn't work out that way. There's just a lag for a few years until enough of the used ones hit the repair shops and then hit the backyard mechanics. Just think back to around 1993 or 1994 when everyone was talking bad and scared of the 4.6 because it was overhead valve and import or European design style and had those giant long twin timing chains.
Now we're talking about them like they're old school Antiques and simple to work on! It's all about time, becoming familiar, and conditioning.