Engine Squeal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thereason21

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I am hearing a light squeal noise at low speeds but not when stopped. My friend says it looks like the belt is bad. Is this all it could be?

OP
OP
T

thereason21

Full Access Members
Reaction score
No not really, it sounds to me like the beginning of belt squeal but i can barely hear it while driving ... if i roll the window down i can barely hear it bouncing off the buildings ... it is a high pitched noise but its not very loud ...

lakmflx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Do you also hear it at idle? Sounds like the serpentine belt to me.

OP
OP
T

thereason21

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thats the thing ... i dont hear it at idle. Ill check again today but last night i didnt hear it at idle ... I am guessing the serpentine belt to me too ... its kind of shiny and looks to be getting up there in years ....

lakmflx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If it is the serp belt.. It wont exactly squeal all the time. Sometimes it will come and go.

OP
OP
T

thereason21

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I dont think this is something i could try to replace myself. I have seen it done on other cars. What kind of price do you think a shop would charge?

lakmflx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You can do it yourself. It's a 5 minute job. If you dont have the tool you can pick it up at any of the autozone's, advance etc... all you do is stick the tool in the tensioner pulley turn it, slide the old belt off and slip the new one on. Just make sure you follow the routing diagram correctly. Thats all there is to it.

lakmflx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Originally posted by thereason21
I dont think this is something i could try to replace myself. I have seen it done on other cars. What kind of price do you think a shop would charge?

At a minimum 65-75 for labor (unless the shop prorates their time) plus parts which can vary from 15 bucks to 50 bucks if you want a gator belt.

OP
OP
T

thereason21

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hey thanks maybe ill try it with the supervision of someone who has a clue lol I know a few of those guys. In any case i just took it out on the lot here at work and it ran for 20 minuets or so and didnt hear anything at idle or speeds up to 30 MPH. I am with you on it being the belt.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
djahmed786