engine studders

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Patrick

Reaction score
okay, the last two days this has happened, same spot too come to think about it.

i leave work, drive about a quarter of a mile, stop at a stop sign, make a left turn. i start to feel a little shaking go on and then it progressively get worse real quick, especially if i get into the gas, the engine light will start to flash and i loose all power. the engine "sounds" good just no power.
yesterday, i stopped pretty much as soon as the light started flashing. shut the engine off, popped the hood and couldn't find anything. pulled out the codes and had pending codes for P0302 and P0303 which indicate misfire on plugs 2 and 3. started the engine back up and the engine light was out and the engine ran fine.
tonight, started out the same, engine light falshing, i took my foot out of the gas and coasted for a second, the light stopped and engine came to its senses and all was good, i did get pending codes p0300 which is for multiple plugs misfire.....??????

i know this is lengthy, but would appreciate any help.

we just came back from 1000 mile round trip (no problems), and a lot of rain on the way home....i was thinking the wetness may have something to do with it...i seem to read alot how these expys hate the rain.

Patrick

JUST4FUN

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
What is it 5.4 or4.6?
dose it have coil on plug ?
i would go the cheap route and get the boots /wires change this first. also use dielctric grease in the boot

OP
OP
P

Patrick

Reaction score
it is a 2000 expy with a 5.4, i have coils.

same thing happened today, not as bad, but i think i am getting use to feeling it com on, as soon as i felt it starting, i put it in neutral, it reved up just fine, put it back in gear and it started to shake again, another 10 seconds and it was fine. didn't get the flashing engine light and no code popped up this time either.
this in about 30 seconds or less.

i might pick up some of that grease you are recomending, it can't hurt

JUST4FUN

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
i'd chang the boots too they degrade with time/heat

OP
OP
P

Patrick

Reaction score
okay, so ran all the plugs and added the dy-electric grease to all of them...that was a good idea. i found the #2 &#3 had moisture on them. cleaned them up real good. took it for a ride and had the stutter still....got back to the garage, a little bummed, check the coils again and found that on one of them i forgot to put the wire connector back on the coil pack.

runs good for now.

Patrick

AW_3_3

Reaction score
Glad it's working for now. Beware though, in a few months you will probably have to replace one or two, we had this problem with our 4.6, and ended up replacing the #s 3, 6,7 coils. It happened a couple months previously, we attributed it to bad gas- ended up being this.