Engine swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nickd215

Reaction score
My engine on my 05 Eddie Bauer edition seems to be running harsh and knocks like crazy. Was wondering if there is an easy swap u could do to replace it. Was either looking at a later motor out of an expedition or a f150 motor. Don't mind doing the work just trying to stay away from to much wiring. Any input would be great.

Habbibie

Is it Christmas yet?
Reaction score
Is your truck even worth the swap?

Anyways first thing first is yours got a rod knock or cam knock? If it's rod knock then ok swap it if it's cams then rebuild it.

Also good effin luck finding a cheap low mileage 5.4 3v for a price that will justify what your entire rig is worth. People who have this engine know what the demand is for it and they price it accordingly.

Fix it or get rid of, don't even bother with a swap

Snag

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Nickd,

You are about the 4th one in the last week with the same problem. Like Habb says if its just top end tic and you have the mechanical ability its a fairly easy fix, although parts add up fast. These engines are a nightmare and used ones could also have the same problems. My 05 took the following to fix the tic
new timing chain assembly
new phasers
new VVT solenoids
new lash adjusters
new cam followers
2 new cams
new gaskets
new oil pump (Melling)

buying cheap and online I think I was about 1500.00. If you go OEM it will be much higher.

Habbibie

Is it Christmas yet?
Reaction score
Nickd,

You are about the 4th one in the last week with the same problem. Like Habb says if its just top end tic and you have the mechanical ability its a fairly easy fix, although parts add up fast. These engines are a nightmare and used ones could also have the same problems. My 05 took the following to fix the tic
new timing chain assembly
new phasers
new VVT solenoids
new lash adjusters
new cam followers
2 new cams
new gaskets
new oil pump (Melling)

buying cheap and online I think I was about 1500.00. If you go OEM it will be much higher.

I'm already $1500 in on my list and I'm not even half way through it yet, but as you said you went one route I'm going the OEM route. Phasers and chains alone are a $1000

Snag

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yep, I bought China made American named boxed parts, except the lash adjusters and followers. Yes, if you go Ford you will have WAY more invested. I tried to stay with American companies, but they were China made now. So far so good, if I have any trouble I will dump the rig.