estimate the cost!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jacks3am

Full Access Members
Reaction score
can someone give me a guesstimate on what it would cost to have my back hatch repainted? i asked my friend at school who works at a shop and he said like 380$, thats crazy i would never pay that!

JUST4FUN

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
ok 380$ prep time is whats costing you the most.
paint, hardener, clear coat. labor(got to get payed)
isnt free. so whats a price you would pay?

OP
OP
jacks3am

jacks3am

Full Access Members
Reaction score
well i would like it to be below 200 but i should just get a new hatch because the keyhole back there dosent work and it has stress cracks around it? theres rust underneath an emblem so yeah lol i did spray paint it

Last edited:

99ebexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
thats a little high i painted in high school and got two certificates for it. if its just your hatch i wouldnt pay no more than 300. labor is what gets ya.

OP
OP
jacks3am

jacks3am

Full Access Members
Reaction score
what if i prep it myself? would that bring down the cost considerably?

99ebexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
if its a known shop like a francise not a hole in the wall no. they will say that they have to fix it even tho u made it the best u could. but like a little family own type shop if u sand it fix the dents and have it most of they way done then maybe.

OP
OP
jacks3am

jacks3am

Full Access Members
Reaction score
heres the damage, if i used this hatch i would just eliminate the key slot all together since its really not needed.

Image02331.jpg
Image02341.jpg

99ebexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
not too bad but if u can prep if dents then u can paint. lol painting a simple thing like the hat would be easy. but its simple so cahrging u that much is crazy. in school we couldnt charge labor and we would paint that for like 150. so if u have like a high school around that teaching students how to work on car i would check that out. thats where i learned and i loved it. just tell the teacher u want it done right cuz some kids dont kn ow what there doing and can screw it up.

cvint

Reaction score
i had the dealer give me a price of $460 to repaint mine, but not sure if you have rust repair to be done....im going to do it myself and save money..