Exhaust leak - best way to fix.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jacob shedd

Reaction score
Hey,

New technician trying to find the best way to fix an exhaust leak. I attached a picture and have an exhaust leak between the exhaust manifold and the catalytic converter. What would be the most simple way to fix this leak? I tried tightening the two bolts to secure the connection but they are super tight and super rusted. The leak isnt extreme but I believe it is causing me to deplete oil quickly. Any advise helps.

Thanks,
Jacob

manifold bolt sequencepaint.png

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
First off Jacob, Exaust do not leak oil, that's another issue you have to figure out. It sounds like your leaking Exaust from the donut gasket that seals the header pipe to the catalytic converter. What you need to do is use a good penetrant oil, and spray down the nuts and studs where their attached. After that you very carefully need to break them loose. They may break loose easy, maybe not. If their stuck don't force them. Sometimes a light tap with a hammer or hammer and punch can break them loose. If you can break everything loose, you should be able to install new gaskets. Use a small amount of anti seize thread paste on stud threads on install, torque nuts to spec.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Best bet go to local parts store like auto zone or orileys. They will know, and if wrong part is easy swap. Always remember give your parts guy or girl year/ engine/ accessories. Also 2 or 4 wheel drive.

98eb5.4

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Got it! i'm going to replace ASAP. My only question is the size of the donut gasket. I couldn't the specifics online for what size i needed. Are the pretty much universal? This is the one i'm looking at now.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/122217099004

this gasket is described
"FLANGE WELD-ON GRAPHITE DONUT GASKET"

what's the "weld on" part about?

i'm assuming exhaust heat ~ bonds it together?

op, if you break the studs, there are easy fixes

LEOL

Full Access Members
Reaction score
um, i honestly dont really know the answer to your question....... BUT graphite while used IN welding of some types, i wasnt under the impression is a typical welding material. I could be wrong?! maybe the description is misleading and is meant for use ON a weld on flange? I really dont know.

Anyway the reason i replied to this is for both providing AND seeking information.... because our exhaust system (as far as im aware) does not contain donut gaskets from the factory, neither in the downpipe, nor the cat/muffler flange as they are machine mated like a giant pressure fitting.

NOW, thats not to say that it isnt common to use donuts in them, subsequently after repairs and such. I honestly dont know.. thats where the seeking info part comes in... im sure you probably "can" stick a donut in the manifold/downpipe flange... but im unsure of whether it would help or hurt?!?!

JoeD

Reaction score
this gasket is described
"FLANGE WELD-ON GRAPHITE DONUT GASKET"

what's the "weld on" part about?

i'm assuming exhaust heat ~ bonds it together?

op, if you break the studs, there are easy fixes
If it's what I'm thinking, it's a coating that that aides in sealing the flanges. The old style ball and socket flanges I use high temp copper anti seize I get a better seal in my experience vs dry assembly

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Depending on the year vehicle you have, you have never stated in your tag line. You may have a replaceable gasket, or a built in ball socket that seals your Exaust. I'm not there, so I can't see what you have. You'll have to pull apart and see.

whitelightning99

Full Access Members
Reaction score
maybe a set of these like c clamp things not sure what there called but it maybe something to try

FRARAVQ7IOEP2818DZ.MEDIUM.jpg