Exhaust Manifold Replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Steve, I recommend watching "project farm" channel on YouTube, he does a pretty comprehensive comparison of all the penetration oils head to head and has two videos regarding this subject... you'll be surprised of the results cause we old timers keep thinking Kroil is best... which as it seems with today's technology that it's not as we claim it to be...

I like this guy and is videos and I hate youtube videos....but I can't say I have seen anything near these results.
I have never seen liquid wrench work as well as PB blaster and there is no way wd40 is even close to as good as PB and no way better.

I've been using all three for over 40 years. I just haven't seen similar results.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Toby, your post is tripled on my end. Not that we don't love reading your writing, but three of the same writing prose is tough!

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Toby, your post is tripled on my end. Not that we don't love reading your writing, but three of the same writing prose is tough!

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk
Wow. Sorry. It must have been a Browser glitch on my end. I normally use Firefox and it's choppy enough but I think I was using Internet Explorer on this and it's even worse.
I'm a long-winded SOB so nobody wants to read my stuff twice sometimes not even once.
I get it, I do. I just can't stop myself.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
If the manifold job is at all like the First Generations' it's not too bad. I used a Dremel to clean up the mounting nuts, then got them off with those sockets made for undersized rusty nuts. Took out the inner fender wells of course and worked that way.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The replacement right side Ford sells as a kit, comes with new stainless hardware. I guess they do this because it’s the curbside splash side. It’s a tough job from the looks...

Last edited:

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Every time I've ever seen them leaking at least one or two of the heads are already rusted off and you never know how much gold is sticking out but it is very weak. I have never done one in the chassis and if I had to I would probably end up taking everything off and eventually be sitting there with no fenders on the vehicle but it should be possible. I didn't my engine swap on a 6.8 and decided to replace them. Was out even though it only had a hundred ten thousand miles. Didn't want to risk it in the future. Out of 20 studs, 4 broke off. Much easier out there in the open on an engine stand but still had to drill three of those out and use easy outs. Only one had enough to pull it out with vice grips.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Parts came.......some. Still waiting on hardware.
2A012C09-3435-4BC3-946F-3CDCA72FA429.jpeg
C4E1F76E-C9FA-4294-920A-43E0C8121637.jpeg

Last edited:

ccbc65

Reaction score
Hey guy, I recently bought an 07 EL Limited, low mileage and very clean inside and out. But it has the exhaust manifold leak that mostly seals itself as it warms up. I've been reading up on replacing them and was wondering if any of you guys considered upgrading the manifolds to headers? Are there even many headers available? Just curious. I figured since I'm doing the job, may as well increase the performance some whiie I'm at it. So any input would be appreciated.

Thanks!

OP
OP
S

sonofagun

Reaction score
OP here. Rather late update, but had both manifolds replaced by a local shop for $900 and some change. Truck is still running like a top after a year!