Expedition Alternative

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The base macan does 0-60 in 5.2. Even if you drop the brands I listed you’re still left with the Q5/7, X5/7, GLE and XC90. [\QUOTE]

The macan seats 5 and tows 1600lbs, the aviator seats 7 and tows 5600 to 6700 pounds depending on powerant. Someone shopping for the macan isn’t shopping for the Aviator. The other brands you listed are exactly the ones I’ve said twice now that they are competing with and yes they have a tough row to hoe to break into that market, no one is saying they don’t. Watch the Doug Demuro review, he addresses the other makes fairly well if I remember correctly.

carymccarr

Full Access Members
Reaction score

A small SUV shopper will take a look at anything in that price range IMO. And LR, jaguar, Porsche, Maserati all have offerings squarely in the $65-$95k range.

As you noted. We can agree to disagree.

Let us know how you like it when you drive it. And I watched the doug review a week or so ago...he’s very entertaining but I rarely see him dead on when it comes to understanding the market etc.

(Also note that the macan can pull 5200lbs with a braked trailer)

Last edited:

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
We didnt get a chance to drive one yest like i wanted, we went bed shopping and that took most of our time.

Im sure the aviator competes with luxury 3 row crossovers such as xc90, q7, mdx, xt6, rx350l, qx70 and if you push it, the x5/x7(its closer to size and mission to x7, but i think bmw wants x7 to compete with nav) and gle450/gls450(same as bmw). Also, to get those nice interiors, new tech and great engines on those vehicles(mainly europeans), you have to include their lux pkgs which balloon the price, otherwise their base interiors and features are pretty comparable in feel and content.

Though id like to druve one, for the miney, i think id still prefer a nav. The front seats are the same, but your sacrificing room in the second and esp third row. Your sacrificing cargo room as well. The only three things id want in the nav are the window shades, ventilated sec row seats, and air suspension(the air glide suspension is being dinged by critics, the ones able to compare say the air suspension is best) which im sure it will get next year in 2021my or during its mid cycle. Optioning up the aviator reserve 2 to what i want, im paying 75k+, but a nav reserve with everything i want is 86k and i think the nav has a better front end(ave has a better rear end though).

CaptOchs

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Expedition buying is extremely frustrating if tow capacity is important to you. The market is flooded with former rental fleet Expys that don't have tow packages or 3.73 gears. I dealt with dozens of dealerships which knew nothing about these key options. I drove a half hour to see one that had a "tow package." Apparently they thought just because it had a hitch, it qualifies. I missed out on 3 Expeditions that would have worked but they were sold or in the process of being sold. I did test drive a 2017, but I didn't think it was as smooth of a ride as my 2003.

I ended up going to a RAM dealer and found a truck that has a nice factory cat-back exhaust with a HEMI 5.7. It growls pretty good. It has more HP and torque than the Expedition. It throws you back in the seat really good on full throttle. The truck was cheaper and had far less miles for the price. It's a "big horn" edition that is comparable to the expensive "limited" edition Expeditions.

shane_th_ee

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Expedition buying is extremely frustrating if tow capacity is important to you. The market is flooded with former rental fleet Expys that don't have tow packages or 3.73 gears. I dealt with dozens of dealerships which knew nothing about these key options. I drove a half hour to see one that had a "tow package." Apparently they thought just because it had a hitch, it qualifies. I missed out on 3 Expeditions that would have worked but they were sold or in the process of being sold. I did test drive a 2017, but I didn't think it was as smooth of a ride as my 2003.

I ended up going to a RAM dealer and found a truck that has a nice factory cat-back exhaust with a HEMI 5.7. It growls pretty good. It has more HP and torque than the Expedition. It throws you back in the seat really good on full throttle. The truck was cheaper and had far less miles for the price. It's a "big horn" edition that is comparable to the expensive "limited" edition Expeditions.
How's the third row comfort compare? I've heard good things about the third row headroom...

gtnator

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
More likely to see super cruise.

Exactly. The new GM triplets will certainly add to the competition for Expedition. I always think competition is good for us consumers as it keeps the car companies on their toes.

The new GMs won’t have tight 3rd rows as they’ll be equipped with IRS. And the LWB will probably still have more cargo room than the Max, which definitely raises the bar. I bet Ford responds with a slight refresh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk