Expedition Problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

twkellen

Reaction score
I have a 2007 Expedition. In August of 2011 I was going home and rounded a curve. The Expy just acted like someone turned the gas off. It started right back and I made it about another 500 feet and it quit for good. I towed it home and found out the fuel pump was fried. When I got it out, it showed it had gotten really hot. I replaced it and all was good until the week before Christmas. I was driving down the road at 60 mph and it was like someone turned the gas off. I had it towed home and replaced the pump again. This time it didn't look bad, but it was. This time I found a bunch of grit in the bottom of the tank. I cleaned it completely out and installed with the new pump. Back on the road and it was all good. Today I was headed home and the same thing again. Every time I could crank it forever and it wouldn't even hit. Same today. This time I had it towed home again and went out to jack it up to remove the tank. I thought to try it one more time, because it wasn't exactly where I wanted it. It fired right up. I scanned it and it has no codes. Now what? Anyone have any ideas? Every time I used a pump from my dealer, so I wouldn't think it is poor quality pumps. It was especially hot today, but the gauges never got out of the normal they always are on a cold day.

Thanks in advance for any help,
Wayne

911jason

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I am absolutely NOT a mechanic, but the grit in the tank makes me wonder about the quality of the gas you've been using. Not sure if that long-term could be ruining your pumps.

Stoned06

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I am absolutely NOT a mechanic, but the grit in the tank makes me wonder about the quality of the gas you've been using. Not sure if that long-term could be ruining your pumps.

That, or someone is putting something in your tank. Have you checked the voltage at the pump to make sure its correct. If high, it could be burning out the pumps.

OP
OP
T

twkellen

Reaction score
Ok, I was thinking the grit was the problem too. I was thinking more like a cracked tank or a hose not connected allowing road grit to get into it. I do drive on gravel some. However I removed the tank and pump today even though it was running. There was no grit in the tank. It was unbelievably clean.

I actually used the fuel pump hooked to cables and a battery to pump all the remaining fuel out of it. It pumped out 15 gallon with no problems and pretty quickly. Could the pump be working but getting hot and dropping pressure where it wont run?

I am thinking the pumps aren't the culprit now and it is possibly something that controls them. Any ideas? If it is voltage, what is controlling the voltage to the pump? I know there is a relay in a box under the hood. Will this kick out and then reset itself?

I am totally lost on this now since it restarted and seems to run fine.

Stoned06 - That picture looks identical to mine minus the boat. And minus the fuel tank and pump at the moment.

OP
OP
T

twkellen

Reaction score
I haven't put it back together yet, but every time I have changed a pump so far I have changed the fuel filter too.

vegasdrummer

Reaction score
I need a Fuel Pump for 2007

Ford has national shortage or recall. My pump is out now om my 2007 EL and I cant find one and Ford won't have one available until Sept 2013...

Anyone have one?

Last edited:

mrford60

Full Access Members
Reaction score
replace the relay when you put the new pump in this time. the relays can kick out and reset it ma have overloaded when you burnt the first pump and it is weak. good luck.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jessiev