Expedition Won't Move Forward At Idle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BrinkExpo

Reaction score
Hey guys I just bought a 2006 Expedition Limited with 144k miles on it and just replaced the tranny.

When I put the truck in drive, it doesn't move forward at idle like other Expeditions I have driven. It only moves forward when I give it throttle.

The E brake is not stuck on and from what I can tell, no caliper is hanging up because I don't smell any brakes burning.

Is this something I should be concerned about?

What could be the cause of this?

Thanks

Last edited:

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Did you use different torque converter? Does the truck roll freely on a slight incline if you put it in neutral with the brakes off? Does the tranny seem to perform normally in all other aspects?

-Mike

OP
OP
BrinkExpo

BrinkExpo

Reaction score
I'm not sure what torque converter was put in the truck, Kennedy Transmission did the tranny. I would assume they wouldn't use outside of factory specs.

Yes the truck rolls freely on slight incline in neutral with the brakes off and yes the tranny seems to perform normally in all other aspects.

The truck idles at about 500RPMs when it is in drive. Is this low? Or any other ideas?

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah should idle 600-650 in Drive. Did it idle a little higher before they replaced the tranny? Try cleaning out the throttle body. Does the truck want to move forward if you bring the RPM up to 650 with your throttle foot ?

-Mike

OP
OP
BrinkExpo

BrinkExpo

Reaction score
No the truck doesn't want to move forward when bringing the rpms to 650. I don't remember where it idled or if it moved forward at idle before the new tranny was put in.

No one else has had this issue?

As long as it is nothing to worry about I can live with it.

Could it be a tranny adjustment after roughly 500 miles break in?

MikeA

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What your describing is either, low on trans fluid, or trans slipping.

Habbibie

Is it Christmas yet?
Reaction score
I would like it better if it didn't roll, pull up to red light and let go of the brakes and wait it out that way or a passing train....

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PaulMedik