2004 expedition will only move few feet forward or reverse

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stan911

Reaction score
My o4 made a loud clunk sound after a trip on my way home. I was able to make it home by forcing it. I check the caliper it is fine checked the iew ok vacuum ok.Put the truck in neutral can not push it forward or back ,but a few feet.put it on a couple jacks. Put it in neutral rear wheels spin put it in reverse with truck running wheels don't spin. Any ideas?

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
How many miles on it ? How's the ATF fluid look ? Still bright red? Correct level on the dipstick with the motor running ?

SafariGoneWrong

Reaction score
I think you have to try to isolate the big pieces in the drivetrain. Disconnect driveshaft at the rear differential and see if it feels/spins ok by turning both the pinion flange and wheels. I’d drain transfer case fluid and look for bits and chunks. If ok, refill and check functionality in AWD and 4H. See what you can find out with D 2 and 1 on the transmission selector.

whtbronco

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes it is ,but I am only using 2 wd . Can the trans fer case affect 2 wd?
Yes the transfer case can affect 2WD. All power comes from the engine through the transmission, through the transfer case and then to the rear axle or both the front and rear axles.

I agree with SafariGoneWrong on isolating the major components as much as you can.