Expy vs. F250

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Madmaxwell87

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Lets say we care comparing similar years, in this case a '99 expy and F250. Both equipped with a 5.4, 4R100 Trans and the same 9.75 Rear end.
What would be the difference in running gear and how it relates to towing.
I have been bouncing around the idea of moving up to an F250 for towing but not a diesel because of the cost of maintence so with staying with an F250 with a 5.4 what would be the advantage, if any over an expy. I know stiffer springs but anything else I am overlooking?

All F250s came with the sterling 10.5 rear axle so that's a benefit right there. If you go 4x4 you get a solid front axle which has much less moving parts to maintain and/or break. The death wobble fix is usually trac bar bushings and you're good. The frame, brakes, and springs are larger/better as its designed to handle weight, not haul a family comfortably.

The main benefit of a F250 with a 5.4 is it will tow more (lbs) for more miles, easier. It wont ride as nice, it will be harder to park as its longer, and it will probably use more fuel as it's heavier and bigger. For infrequent towing of a light (by superduty standards) trailer you're better off to make the upgrades mentioned (larger trans cooler and programmer), tow with the OD off, and not have to buy a new unknown truck.

firehound99

Reaction score
I by no means claim to be an expert on towing. That being said I moved from Texas to California with my Expo a couple of years ago hauling a 18 ft enclosed trailer filled with my house. Going over the Rocky's and had no problem. I did keep the overdrive off the whole trip, but I climbed the mountains fine at 60-65 MPH. My suggestion being you only are using the trailer a few times a year is keep your Expo. If your anything like me, (I have had this debate with myself for many years) you will decide the Expo is your better choice.

2004 Ford Expedition EB 2wd

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carloss0712