2023 Long Crank to Start...2K Miles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Coach

Reaction score
Could not find any previous threads on a 4th Gen long crank issue...starter whining 2-3 sec before start.
2023 Timberline - issue is intermittent. Engine could be cold, hot, first start of the day, etc its random, but at least once a day if not every other day I have the issue. Some days on first start, it starts right up, others days long crank. Coming out of grocery store, long crank, like I said random. Sometimes the starter whines so long that after 2-3 sec it is concerning... I'll be taking into dealership when I return home to south Texas, but wondered if any new model owners have this issue? I'm banking on the "discrepancy can't be duplicated" at Ford so sending feelers out there if others have this? Thanks!

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Could not find any previous threads on a 4th Gen long crank issue...starter whining 2-3 sec before start.
2023 Timberline - issue is intermittent. Engine could be cold, hot, first start of the day, etc its random, but at least once a day if not every other day I have the issue. Some days on first start, it starts right up, others days long crank. Coming out of grocery store, long crank, like I said random. Sometimes the starter whines so long that after 2-3 sec it is concerning... I'll be taking into dealership when I return home to south Texas, but wondered if any new model owners have this issue? I'm banking on the "discrepancy can't be duplicated" at Ford so sending feelers out there if others have this? Thanks!

I do not have a 2023 model.

The delayed-start issue sounds like a lack of fuel pressure, and I’d bet you’ll be stranded at some point due to failure of the fuel pressure regulator or fuel pump.

LazSlate

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Every time you power on the ignition prior to cranking it calculates lots of data: Air temp, altitude, engine temp, crank position, current timing, etc and sets the parameters for the start. For the next week you should enter the car press the start with no foot on the brake, give it a few seconds then press start with foot on the brake. if you still get a delay occasionally then it could be the sign of an issue. Maybe a sensor issue. Also it remembers parameters like your altitude and outside temperatures. So if you are traveling a lot with ambient and altitude changes then it has to adjust quicker thus longer start.

My 2010 E350 has basic old school cpu start ups. Its keyed but its auto start. When ever I take out the battery and re-hook it, when I start it, it cranks for a long time trying to figure out the ambient temperatures, altitude, etc. After that its starts quicker since its in memory. I can duplicate this every time.

BravoAlpha

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Id make an appointment and get it to a shop asap. I would continue to drive it though.

I will make a comment on these random issues. Over the last 10 years I’ve had several anomalies on newer vehicles. TPMS, A/C, drivetrain Warnings, ABS, strange shifting patterns/behavior

All were resolved with a new battery. these vehicles are more reliant on batteries than I can comprehend. I don’t expect that is problem here but, just sayin… I didn’t think it was the problem with the shift pattern and hesitation on my 6 month old Bronco and neither did the dealer. But it was.

OP
OP
Coach

Coach

Reaction score
Thanks All. I've been using LazSlate's suggestion of hitting the ignition w/out foot on brake to let the computer adjust or dump memory parameters. This has been working so far and in the last 2 weeks only 1 long crank I can remember. I'll keep some of the nuggets others mentioned in my back pocket if this is becomes more intermittent adn need to get it checked out for pressue issue (which was exactly the issue on my 2015 Tahoe Z71) or a sesnor, etc.

LazSlate

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You are "settling" for this kind of behavior on a brand new car?

He is not "settling" he is trying some suggestions to see if the issue goes away. Maybe you have time to schedule a service visit to the dealership every time you experience some odd sound or behavior. Me personally would like to try system resets and other procedures (which the dealer may do) BEFORE spending days of my life sitting at the dealership.

rd618

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If @LazSlate suggestion is working, it could be fuel pressure, bad fuel, fuel pump, etc. Turning the vehicle to "on" before starting allows the pump to pressurize the fuel line, if that's fixing your issue, Fuel is where i'd probably go first. I believe forscan has a fuel rail pressure sensor reading, check those data points. If the starter is struggling to turn-over or sounds like it's not catching, could be starter or battery.