factory alarm

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

toomanytoys

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 98 Eddie Bauer Expy with 74000 miles on it. I have owned it since July of this year. It seems to be in pretty good shape. My question is about the factory alarm. When I use the remote to lock the doors, it works fine. And when I hit the button again the horn sounds and the lights flash once. The alarm should be set now right? If I reach in and open the door the alarm does not go off and I can start the truck without disarming it. The truck had a remote start in it at one time and I believe there is a key still hidden inside somewhere although I have not been able to find it. I am thinking this way because I have one pass key and one plain key, plus I have found the valet switches (they are not connected). Would a key hidden inside cause the alarm not to work? Or could it be something else?

elighthunter

Reaction score
Well.... with my experience with the remote starts there is not key persay. I have a 99 eb and when I lock it like that it doesn't go of either when I unlock and open the door. My father had a Lincoln that did that when you arm it the alarm will go off. All I could tell you is that you need to check the vin and see if that option was even on your truck. If you would like to know more about the install on a remote start let me know I can give you more information on it.

OP
OP
T

toomanytoys

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The remote start was removed some time prior to my purchasing the truck. I bought it from a used car dealer so I cant even contact the previous owner. The reason I was wondering about the hidden key is because the truck starts without using the pass key. If there wasnt a pass key hidden inside somewhere the truck wouldnt start (like my wifes Sable) right? The truck is fully loaded (moonroof, 5.4, fog lights, l.e.d. signal mirrors, mach stereo etc) so I would think there is a factory alarm. If there isnt really an alarm and its just a remote unlock, then I will install a aftermarket alarm in it.

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is just a guess here, but I don't think it has an alarm on it. Pressing the lock button twice will flash and chirp the horn once to tell you the the doors are locked. It will chirp twice if one of the door is open, or not close all the way.

About the key, does it have a PATS system? Or are you saying that you can start it without the PATS key (aka, using a "normal" key.) If so, I'd say maybe the PATS system might have been disabled, or maybe it wasn't even an option?

OP
OP
T

toomanytoys

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That is exactly it. I have 1 pats key and one normal key. Thats why I thought there was a key hidden inside somewhere. I was also hoping that the hidden key was causing the alarm not to work properly.

Tom Nugler

Reaction score
From what I've seen you don't need to look for a complete key, just the transponder. Usually they break open the key and pop it out.
If the key reader coil is still around the ignition lock look for it taped around the reader or to the inside of the column trim.
The bigger problems come when you try to program new keys. In the Euro imports I work with, the system won't read the new keys, or worst case, it will lock them all out.

Thinking off the top of my head again,
Tom.

OP
OP
T

toomanytoys

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks. The first chance I get (probably Monday) Im going to take the column trim off and have a look.

OP
OP
T

toomanytoys

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Quick update: I still havent found the hidden key, but as I was installing a hid conversion something strange happened. I had removed the driver side headlight and was using the factory ground behind for a ground in the hid harness. As I removed the ground bolt I heard a loud buzzing under the hood (the engine was not running but the drivers door was ajar). When I closed the door the buzzing stopped. As I looked in the window I saw the theft light flashing. When I tried to start the truck, it wouldnt fire. So now I know that there is an alarm in the truck I just have to get it working. Does anyone else have an idea where the pass key could be hidden? I looked in the dashboard and in the column and still havent been able to find it.