Factory sub replaced

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bcmaxx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If your EB is a Gen1 with the Mach Audio system, then it has a sub. If you have no bass at all (like I did when I got mine), then your sub is probably blown. Ford designed the system to turn the bass off to avoid damaging anything if the sub goes out. Replace the sub and you should be good to go. There are plenty of walk-throughs on this site if you need help.

Well lastnight I took it all apart, I have 12 v power going into the amp, but no output to the speaker, so I'm going to guess it needs an amp?

mpsjr

Reaction score
Well lastnight I took it all apart, I have 12 v power going into the amp, but no output to the speaker, so I'm going to guess it needs an amp?

That's what I thought too. An easy way to test it is to grab a speaker, if you have one lying around, and hook it up to the output side of the amp to see if it will play. I had no power coming out of my amp until I hooked up the new sub. There's a built in safety shut-off for the amp to keep it from getting damaged if the sub blows. Even your door speakers will "limit" the mid/bass output until you install a new sub.

bcmaxx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That's what I thought too. An easy way to test it is to grab a speaker, if you have one lying around, and hook it up to the output side of the amp to see if it will play. I had no power coming out of my amp until I hooked up the new sub. There's a built in safety shut-off for the amp to keep it from getting damaged if the sub blows. Even your door speakers will "limit" the mid/bass output until you install a new sub.

Tried another just now, same , no output. how can I install a standard up in there? how would I figure oput the wiring?

mpsjr

Reaction score
Tried another just now, same , no output.

Did you try wiring the amp output to a new speaker? I had to cut the plug off of mine where it connected to the factory sub in order to hook up my new sub. Any 8" subwoofer will work, but you might have to modify the box.

how can I install a standard up in there? how would I figure oput the wiring?

I'm not sure if "a standard" means a speaker or another amp. If you're talking about hooking up a standard speaker, you'll just need to figure out which side is positive and which is negative.

If you're trying to install an aftermarket amp, you should try the search function. I've never done that, but I think several of the members here have.

GL

bcmaxx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Did you try wiring the amp output to a new speaker? I had to cut the plug off of mine where it connected to the factory sub in order to hook up my new sub. Any 8" subwoofer will work, but you might have to modify the box.

I'm not sure if "a standard" means a speaker or another amp. If you're talking about hooking up a standard speaker, you'll just need to figure out which side is positive and which is negative.

If you're trying to install an aftermarket amp, you should try the search function. I've never done that, but I think several of the members here have.

GL
Yes I tried another sub speaker. But no luck. I have a small rockford amp that should fit . There seems to be a lack oc rca s . And I read the signal wire is only 5v and I need 12v

jbanks

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Look at the Mach wiring diagram on this page: Ford Explorer Ranger Enthusiasts "Serious Explorations"® - View Single Post - Subwoofer plug question

What year Expy do you have?

I'm wondering where you read the 5V from there should be a 12v power supply wire and then you will have the Subwoofer+ and Subwoofer- (Red/black and brown/orange wires), these will be lower voltage. I'm not sure what the "High Audio Mute" wire is. I would test it and see of that is the switched power(turn the amp on and off) wire. If it is only a 5v turn of/off you would wire a relay in to provide your am 12v to turn it on.

Last edited:

bcmaxx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Look at the Mach wiring diagram on this page: Ford Explorer Ranger Enthusiasts "Serious Explorations"® - View Single Post - Subwoofer plug question

What year Expy do you have?

I'm wondering where you read the 5V from there should be a 12v power supply wire and then you will have the Subwoofer+ and Subwoofer- (Red/black and brown/orange wires), these will be lower voltage. I'm not sure what the "High Audio Mute" wire is. I would test it and see of that is the switched power(turn the amp on and off) wire. If it is only a 5v turn of/off you would wire a relay in to provide your am 12v to turn it on.
\

awesome! thanks for the link to the pdf schematics! okay another one, I/m sort of an idiot but do I just kook the + and - to my aftermarket amp for the input? I've only ever used rca wires.

Reaction score
1997 ford expedition EB

ok I just got an awesome JBL 8 INCH SUB REPLACEMENT / hooked it up with a speaker wire before taking all apart just to see if amp would work but NOTHING, NO SOUND not even a crackle....if I were to pull that panel off is there something Im missing here...I also checked the fuse/relay under hood which is where our sub amp fuse/relay is located. why cant I get sound guys??

I am going to remove the outer panel here in a bit but I do not think there is a reset botton or anything that lucky lol...

if amp is blown can someone recommend an AMP that will work or like I asked in this post already what am i missing here....again what I did was to use the two wires that went to the original sub added a foot length of heavy gauge speaker wire to new sub then turn on system with key on and nothing at all...ok please get back to me....also if the amp is bad should i run wires from battery to new amp or what? thank you for a quick response please

Michael