Fancy new A/C clutch noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Manlavi95

Reaction score
The other day, I noticed that the clutch on the A/C compressor makes a noise like grinding a piece of metal on a bench grinder when A/C is off, makes a different noise when A/C is on, more of a.. hmm.. sounds like a rod knock but I know it's coming from the compressor. Am I out a compressor, or could I change the clutch and be home free? Also, if I'm getting a new compressor and getting the system evac'd and recharged, how much do you think that'll run me? Thanks for your time.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What noise?

Here is a/c noise:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7yflp1WFrU

Cost will depend on where you go and what is replaced. A/C isn't cheap unless you do it yourself and have the equipment. A good basic a/c toolset will be around $400, r134a 30lb bottle @$80, compressor kit @ $325-400. Cleaners, injectors, dye kits and sniffers are additional.
Check RockAuto.com for the a/c parts.

If your compressor is coming apart it will send trash through the condenser and other parts of the system that will need to be cleaned or replaced. If that has happened then I would clean the entire system - cost just went through the roof if you have it done. The right way is to clean each part individually and replace the seals - labor intensive.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Manlavi95

Manlavi95

Reaction score
The noise in the video that sounds like metal grinding on metal. A/C works fine, but the clutch on the compressor makes that noise.

stockd15b

Reaction score
I too now have a noisey compressor. Hoping its just the clutch bearing.

OP
OP
Manlavi95

Manlavi95

Reaction score
I too now have a noisey compressor. Hoping its just the clutch bearing.

Bought it a few weeks ago with 178k, I'm definitely not complaining, but I'd like to make sure I can take it on this 500 mile trip.

stockd15b

Reaction score
Bought it a few weeks ago with 178k, I'm definitely not complaining, but I'd like to make sure I can take it on this 500 mile trip.

I hear ya. Id take the serpentine belt off, and spin the pulley/see if there is any movement.

Where you at in FL, Palm Coast?