Finally Getting my Expy Back

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jglopic

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So, new to the forum, but super excited to be getting my (wife's) 2011 Expedition EL Limited back. I was on vacation with the family and got into an accident.

IMG_20120727_140350.jpg
IMG_20120727_140342.jpg
IMG_20120727_140329.jpg

Let me tell you, those cable guard systems can do some damage. I never found the passenger headlight! In addition to all the body damage, I broke the front steering knuckle and damaged the rear wheel hub.

I live in Texas, and we were visiting family in SC when the accident happened. Let me tell you, it sucks to have an accident during a road trip!

Anyway, the Expy has been at the body shop for 6 weeks, and they have finally finished the repairs. Repair cost is almost $20k (thank God for insurance!). My dad is picking it up, and my in-laws are driving it back out to Texas for us.

Just wanted to share my excitement!

sgtowing

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If your gonna do something, do it good. Glad to hear you got it back and welcome to the forum.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

ptmares

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Good to hear everything turned out good. Welcome to the site. This site is a wealth of information.

Nathanialson 08

Full Access Members
Reaction score
How did you wreck your expy, was you cut off or what? glad to hear its back, I remember when I wrecked my expy it took a month and a half to get it back and $6500 was the total damage cost for me, i posted mu wrecked photos below.

01.jpg

02.jpg

alaskanexpy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
man that looks rough!

mine was about $5k last winter when i was t-boned. whole new rear QT panel and door.

good luck! hope shes as good as new.

OP
OP
J

jglopic

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So, I got the Expy back, and it looks pretty good, at least from the outside. They had to replace both front bumper mounts, and that meant cutting the old ones off the frame and welding in the replacements. The overspray of the black paint is pretty bad underneath!

There are/were only two real issues I found going over the truck (including a full under-body inspection.). The first is that they neglected to replace the driver side headlight where the lens was damaged (probably from the bumper cover as it was yanked down during the accident). Called the shop, and I should have a new headlamp in a week.

The other issue was a frequent, high pitched rattle in the back end, wih an occasional lower pitch loud metallic clang. Turns out that they had pulled the bushings for the rear sway bar from the mounts so that they could move they bar while replacing the passenger side wheel hub. They had forgotten to re-install the driver side bushing. Thankfully it was still hanging on the bar, just not between the bar and the frame mount. A 15mm wrench and about 10 minutes, and I had the bushing in place and the noises eliminated.

If I get a chance tonight, I will post a few pics. After driving 1100 miles to us, it needed a bath yesterday before it could be seen in public!