Find the end of sunroof drain tube

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EddieBExpi

Reaction score
I have searched and read many sunroof drain leak posts. My '04 Eddie Bauer sunroof drains fine on the driver's side front water passage hole. The passenger side hole is not flowing at all. The soft hose is firmly connected to the plastic nipple discharge from the sunroof tray. That drain is clogged and I'm convinced the clog is where the tube discharges under the vehicle. I removed front wheel well and was happy to find a lot of leaves, pine straw and wet muddy goop. Thinking this was the cause of my no flow drain, I cleaned out all the crud collected for a long time behind the wheel well and above my running boards.

Then, I poured some water in the passenger side hole and still no flow. Trying to find where the tube exits the vehicle to drain. If I can find the end of the tube, I'll suck it out with vacuum.

Does anyone know where the drain tube exits on the passenger side of the vehicle? Or, does the passenger side drain tube route over to the driver's side?

Thank you!

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Acording to the picture I saw from a 2007 ford sunroof, theirs a hose, one on the right front, one at the left rear. When you gully open your roof, you should see the end of it. You could carefully run a small rod through it , or use compressed air. Good luck, hope that helps. Yours should be the same as the later model.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

juan214

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Option #1:
Blow it out with a Air Nozzle one with an extension for the rear.
71tlqSlbjaL._SL1500_.jpg
Option #2:
If no compressed air is available use a coated solid wire stiff enough it hold its and still bend . Cut it flat on the end, wrap that end with a tiny strip of electrical tape then tape the sritp to the wire tight. This is so it will not bind in the tube feed it through. Feed it through to the blockage pull back and forth. Remember the blockage will open to

Option #3:
Draft Beer Line hose cleaning brush. this will work it the hose I.D. is 1/4" or larger. Brush is 3/16" in diameter and 66" long.
41rj5V-KpqL.jpg
GOOD LUCK

Last edited:

SNKPWR

Reaction score
The tube terminates behind a metal panel near the wheel well under the truck. There is no direct line of sight to check it visually, I would try one of the methods above.

smoothops

Reaction score
The sunroof drain tubes end inside the bottom of the front fender, right where it meets the front door. A lot of dirt and debris that come from the windshield and roof collect there and eventually bury and clog the tubes. The mud also rots the fender and the rocker panel. My 2003 EB came with rotted rockers and when i pulled the rotten parts out is when I learned that the sunroof drain tubes end there. I'm in the process of replacing the rockers and I will add a section of tube to clear that area, so that the water can drain freely to the ground. I will also open a drain on the bottom rear section of the front fenders, to allow water and dirt from the windshield and roof to flow away from the front section of the rocker panel and from the fender as well. I believe Ford designers laid an egg and the flaw is responsible from rusting at the front end of the rockers.

William A

Reaction score
I bought some picture hanging wire which I carefully fed down from the sunroof opening.
It worked!

The entire passenger seat (leather) and floor were soaked while the roof panel is now stained. This happened during the winter, of course, when everything was frozen.
Now I try to run water through both drain tubes every once a month just to make sure they are both flowing. I do this especially in the fall and spring!

OP
OP
E

EddieBExpi

Reaction score
All very good responses. Appreciate the inputs. I'm going to try compressed air next. I have a compressor and nozzle like in the pic above. Don't yet have the tube fittings. Will also get a plastic wire tie and work it from the top.

Would have been so much easier if Ford let the tube ends to be more accessible/visible.

OP
OP
E

EddieBExpi

Reaction score
Success! Here's what I did.

1. found an electrical power cord from a regular broken household lamp. Cut off the end of the power cord. Split the wire along the middle perforation to separate the two wires. Cord length about 36". I pushed the single wire cord through the clogged drain hole. A soft insulation cord may require some close by pushing. I pushed 31" of cord length down the tube until it wouldn't go any further.

2. While leaving the cord in the drain, I pushed the compressor nozzle against the drain hole opening where the cord is inserted. Dumped in a bunch of air.

3. Looked under the running board and all the residual water was blown out and driveway got wet.

4. pulled out the wire and made a 2nd round of compressed air push down the hole.

5. poured water to test and watched how fast it ran down the hole.

All of this took less than 15 minutes.

William A

Reaction score
Glad to hear you got it!

I didn't want a sunroof b/c they leak, get stuck open when they break, and I just find them annoying to drive with open. I don't even use the thing though the wife does and it's her car: unfortunately, it came on the CPO Expy. Funny thing was that the salesman told me sunroofs of today don't leak:buttkick:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PaulMedik